Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after some time away from Yellow Bullet, I'm back! I realize none of you probably remember me anyway, so we will just move on to the build.

A couple years ago I picked up a 1993 SC400. I wasn't really looking for a car, but a late night search found this one, and I have always liked them. I decided to go down and give it a look in person, and it was even cleaner than it looked in the pics so I bought it. Here are a couple pics of when I first got it.

I wont bore you with all of the middle shit, just hit you with the highlights.

I removed a couple tons of wiring that used to be an alarm system.

I had the gauge cluster fixed/updated with white LED's.

Fixed up the wiring that was kind of hacked up from the alarm. Changed the steering wheel, etc. etc.

I then updated the climate control, and put in a nice head unit.

Just a bunch of little changes and fixing up small things here and there. The car was extremely well maintained and really did not NEED much. My plan was always to make it fast of course, and do drag week with it. The factory 1UZ motor is a very good starting point and can make some really solid HP. The stock trans can be built to live as well. Packaging was kind of a nightmare as you can see, but other than that it was a good option.

I ended up stumbling upon a great deal on a procharger kit that was actually on an SC400 locally. It was a P1SC that came with some shitty piping, a way too small intercooler, but a Tial blow off valve that actually had the right spring it it! I started installing that setup.

You can see one of the things that was constantly in the back of my mind for making this a drag week car. Look how complicated that engine looks! If I had a problem on the road not only would parts be an issue, but just the time to do simple repairs is a nightmare. For example the starter is under the intake manifold in the valley.

So when a local kid hurt the motor in his SC I offered mine up to get him back on the road since that is his only car. We struck a deal and I ripped that shit out the next day.

It happened to work out that a 5.3 LS came up for sale for the same money I just sold my old motor for, so I jumped on it.

Now that we are getting into the good stuff I am going to try and copy/paste my post from another site to make my life easier.

Sean

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its update time! Nothing really exciting, but I have been slowly chipping away at things.

First up was wiring. I am planning on using the stock ECU for a little bit with HP Tuners, so I had some wiring work to do.

Harness as I got it with the motor

Stripped of all of the brittle loom and crappy electrical tape.

Unfortunately I ended up having to move it around after I had stripped off all of the crap, and it got pretty tangled.

So I decided to just fully depin everything since I only need a few things from that mess.

Here is the pile of junk I didn't need from that harness. There is actually a bit more, but that is 99.99% of it.

And here is everything all apart, ready to be cleaned, routed, extended, and loomed.

Next up I got some mounts for the LS from Dan Perlenfein. He even made me a custom trans mount for the TH400. These are very nice pieces, and I got them really quickly.

Got them set in the car, fit like a glove! (BTW they are not bolted down in any of these pics, just have the nut on the other side a few turns)

Next up I pulled the oil pan off my motor so I could drop it in and see what I am working with.

Bit of wishful thinking seeing of the truck intake would clear the hood. It wont.

So keep in mind that the mounts are not 100% bolted down yet. I need to get my trans from my buddy so I can get that in place before locking everything in place (just to take it all back out again). Once I have put the trans in then I can check a few things, and it can all come back out. Engine bay is going to get cleaned up, and the motor will get some TLC as well. I am still planning on trying to get it running and driving this year, but we will see if it happens. I am not one to let things be "good enough" so I may end up spending a bunch of money and time on the motor even though it will remain a stock bottom end.

Anyway I am really happy with the fitment, and how much space I have! This seems to be more room than I remember in an F-body (on the sides) even with a tubular K-Member. Should be able to get a big single in there no problem with a 4" down pipe to run out back. I am really glad I went LS!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well time for a small update on the thread that nobody follows :) I got the trans, and a converter from my buddy a while back. Turns out the trans was shot, and needs a rebuild. That pretty much killed my plans for just getting it running this year. The good news is that I will be able to use it as a core to verify the trans mount, and hold everything in place so I can do all the fab work and wiring. I need to get un-lazy and move the car over in the garage so I can get the trans in one of these days. Its been hot as balls, and until I got my turbo there hasn't been much of a reason to bother getting it done. That excuse is out the window now though, since this came in last week

Its nothing special, just a Precision LS 7675, which is a cast wheel journal bearing 76mm. It should be able to max out the 5.3 though, so it will do for now. This weekend (it was hot as balls) I went out to the garage for a bit to try and get some idea where I was going to place the turbo so I can start getting an idea for a materials list. First up I got the radiator sitting in place (close enough)

These were the most obvious positions (turbo would need to be clocked differently for most) that I snapped some pics of not in any particular order.

Inside forward facing 45

TA style

Inside forward facing

Outside forward facing

That is really about all I got right now. I guess I also got the LS6 intake since my last update. That is still sitting on the truck steam ports which is why it isn't flat. I also got a set of non-EGR truck manifolds to use as the base of the turbo kit.

So right now I need to get everything mounted temporarily. That includes the trans, front accessories, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, etc. Then I can lock down the turbo placement 100% and order material to start work. I also need to delete the ABS so I can mount the ECU over there and get started on the wiring. Well that's all for now, thanks for following along the journey of me seeing how dirty I can get my car.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time for a small update, just because why not :)

I needed to get the trans in so I could check the fitment of the mount, as well as get everything locked into position for fabricating. Doing a trans by yourself is no fun, worse when you don't have a lift, and worse yet when you have to do some modifications for it to even fit. I ended up grabbing a trans jack from Harbor Freight to make my life a million times easier.

The only downside to it is that it is quite a bit taller than having the trans on my regular jack, but other than that it was SO MUCH BETTER. I could slowly move it into position and make small changes to angle and overall position with ease. Not to mention how nice it is to have the trans stable as you are moving around to get a good look at everything. It turns out it only needed a little massaging to get it bolted into place. Again, that is without a shield on it (or a bell) but I was glad I didn't have to spend hours hammering overhead.

Ignore the mess, the garage is in process of getting a lot of work as well.

Next up I wanted to see what I was working with on the exhaust manifolds.

Driver side is actually hitting the frame, but that is fine since I always planned on v-banding them anyway.

Plenty of space on the passenger side

Next up was trying to get an idea of what to do for accessories. There are about a million options out there these days. I started by trying to place the stock truck pieces just to get some idea.

Clearly those weren't going to work, but it was worth a shot. I have since figured out what I am going to do, but I will post more about that when I get all the parts. After that I reassembled the main fuse box under the hood. I need to patch where I cut for the procharger bracket, but the car is going to be outside for a bit while we finish the garage so I wanted to close off the fuses and wiring.

That was about it. Got the car back on the ground and pushed back out of the way for now.

Not really a crazy update, but progress none the less. While we are finishing the garage I will get the rest of the parts needed for the accessory drive setup. Once that is all in place I can start on fab work (FINALLY!), so hopefully the garage wont take too long. That's all I got for now, thanks for following along!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing exciting, but parts have been coming in lately. I had to figure out and order up all of the front accessory drive components. Luckily there are a LOT of options for that kind of stuff these days. I ended up with a set of ICT billet brackets that will use a mix of F-body and Truck pieces.

While I am at it, I got all new everything else too since most of it required f-body pieces anyway.

New tensioner

New power steering pump pulley

I have a new water pump, but no pic of it. The new power steering pump will be here early next week as well. I haven't ordered an alternator yet, but I will later when I get a crank pulley.

Next up is some of the fabrication pieces for the turbo kit. I have only ordered the parts and pieces for the hot side so far.

All stainless steel T4 flange, four 2.5" 90's for the crossover, and a 4" 90 for the start of the down pipe

The stainless steel adapter from the weird 3-5/8" outlet of the turbo to 4" tubing.

I am still waiting on the 2.5" stainless v-band assemblies and the stainless O2 bung. I will also run another section of stainless on the downpipe, then a bellows, then adapt to aluminum for the rest of the exhaust. I probably wont start on that until after I do the cold side piping, which I will hopefully be able to start directly after the hot side fabrication is done. My garage is currently being finished, so I wont be able to start work for a couple weeks still, but its great to see parts coming in! That's all I got for now, thanks for following along.

Here are the 2.5" stainless steel v-band assemblies and the stainless steel O2 bung.

They are very nice with indexed flanges built in

Quick release clamps, another nice touch!

GM reman power steering pump came the other day as well

I was a bit surprised to see that the pump did not come with the pulley bolt, or the reservoir cap. Not a big deal, just slightly annoying. That is all I have for now. The garage is taking longer than expected, but I have also been working on the wife's car anyway. Sometime next week I will probably stock up on welding supplies so I can be ready to go. I should have enough to get started, but I know I will need some soon.​​​​

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WHEW, we are all caught up! Sorry if some of the post had shit that didn't make sense, I didn't bother reading though them since I had to manually add all the pics in when I moved them. Now that we are done with that I will be sure to properly update this thread going forward. Like I said I have most everything to get started in the next couple of weeks. We have some family stuff coming up, and I am still waiting for my garage to be finished so I can get the car back inside to start work. I am very excited about this project, and cant wait to actually compete in drag week with it!

That is all I have for now, thanks for following along!

Sean

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool build, I miss my LS400 and wish I had kept it, such nice cars.

Btw, the pump doesn’t use a bolt, pulley is a press-fit, should sit flush.
If I knew how nice these cars were, I would have an LS400 for a daily driver! My brother in law actually just picked one up and loves it.

Good to know about the pulley, and explains why I couldn't find it when I was looking :)

Sweet build. I've always liked these cars.
Thanks! I have always loved these cars. Living outside of Chicago, Sound Performance is local and they have built some pretty insane SC's. Specifically there was a white 6 speed one that ran 9's and was just super clean. That was probably the car that got me hooked on these.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What happened to the F-Body you were doing?
If you are talking about my Camaro, I sold it a couple years ago. It needed way more than I could afford at the time, and I wanted something I could drive much sooner. I wish I could have stored it somewhere, but that wasn't an option. So I sold it, and the wife bought me a 240SX shortly after. I started working on that, but then found the SC.

If you are talking about the TA, that was also sold a few years back now. He bought a house and had a kid (now two kids), and lost all motivation for it. I wish I could have bought it after everything, but money and space :( The moral of the story is I need a bigger garage!

Sean

P.S. The F-Bodies in question for anyone interested. Both are more interesting than this thread so far!
Camaro build thread
TA build thread

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
If I knew how nice these cars were, I would have an LS400 for a daily driver! My brother in law actually just picked one up and loves it.

Good to know about the pulley, and explains why I couldn't find it when I was looking :)
Man I miss mine, I cut out the resonator and center mufflers, it sounded great after that, but it needed a timing belt and complete tune up, I didn’t feel like it was worth putting money into so like an idiot I sold it for sweet fuck all.
That pulley is a horrible bitch to install, need an install tool or even better, have a shop do it for you, problem is, usually the bolts are behind the pulley, so you need to install it on the bracket, then do the pulley.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You've got the makings of a great build. Cool to see another build here in the import section of YB. You've gained another subscriber, I'm intrigued to how this build turns out. Just a fair warning lube the threaded "bolt" prior to install. Sometimes they don't like to come apart nicely. This failure happened during it's 1st removal. When that happens I just weld some Stainless Steel threaded stock to replace the threaded rod portion of the V-band. Good luck on the build.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty cool.
Thanks!

Very cool and unique build. I've always liked the SC's. That interior is shockingly still nice.
Thank you! Yeah the interior is pretty mint! It is also Spruce, which from what I have found is the second rarest color behind the special order two tone in the later years.

Man I miss mine, I cut out the resonator and center mufflers, it sounded great after that, but it needed a timing belt and complete tune up, I didn’t feel like it was worth putting money into so like an idiot I sold it for sweet fuck all.
That pulley is a horrible bitch to install, need an install tool or even better, have a shop do it for you, problem is, usually the bolts are behind the pulley, so you need to install it on the bracket, then do the pulley.
Yeah they sound great with a half decent exhaust. They are not the easiest to work on, and the LS 400 is even tighter.
Good to know on the pulley. Once I get everything mocked up and locked in I can have it done I guess.

Cool build. A friend is doing a 93 RX7 swap using an LS3.
Thanks! I love FD RX7's!

You've got the makings of a great build. Cool to see another build here in the import section of YB. You've gained another subscriber, I'm intrigued to how this build turns out. Just a fair warning lube the threaded "bolt" prior to install. Sometimes they don't like to come apart nicely. This failure happened during it's 1st removal. When that happens I just weld some Stainless Steel threaded stock to replace the threaded rod portion of the V-band. Good luck on the build.
Thanks, I hope it turns out decent :) Yeah, I have had my fair share of issues with v-bands and t-bolt clamps. Thanks for the tip.

I am really hoping that I can get my garage back together this weekend. I wont be able to work on the car for a while still, but that is big step in the right direction. In the meantime I will probably be ordering up some more parts and material soon. I am dying to get started on this thing!!!

Sean

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
looks like it is gonna be a nice build when you get it done. not the first SC LS swap I seen but looks like you started with a nice car.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
looks like it is gonna be a nice build when you get it done. not the first SC LS swap I seen but looks like you started with a nice car.
Not the first for sure, but that's OK. The car was REALLY clean for being in the Chicagoland area its whole life. No rust on it anywhere, and was always maintained at Lexus. Most of that wont matter soon though :)

Great build!!! Looking forward to updates.
Have a look at the Holley/Hooker cast turbo log. From the looks of your engine bay, I think they will fit like a glove!!!

Andrew
I looked at them, but the truck manifolds were free. I want to build my own headers next, so it didn't make sense to spend the money on the Hooker set up. I did debate about that for quite a long time though. If I had the money, the hooker manifold setup with the Holley front accessories (with AC) would be my choice. Maybe the next go around :)

On to a bit of news, my garage is 90% done!! Paint went on last night, so now I can trim it this weekend and move everything back. Here are a couple quick pics.

For reference, here is a pic of the garage when we did our inspection (before we bought the house)

It had a single light bulb, and the opener was plugged into an outlet next to the switch with an extension cord duct taped to the drywall.

Here is a shot after we had added the sub panel, lights, and pulled down the drywall. I then insulated everything, and put up new 5/8" drywall.

I know not car related, but it has been a massive project that has delayed the car so I figured I would throw it in there now that I can see light at the end of that tunnel. Next update will be all car!

Sean

1 - 20 of 119 Posts