Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it when it comes time to pay the bill everyone always looks at the bottom line and never actually reads the invoice line for line to see what they are actually paying for???? They always think you are charging too much and never bother to look and see what their parts cost.

I'm fucking tired of dealing with ignorant fucks that think you should pay them to fix their truck............... The stupid fuckers wont haul a freight load across country for just the cost of the fuel, why do they think repair shops should fix their junk for free.:smt071

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I hear ya. I'm not one to talk about my business in public, but here's one for ya....

I've got a guy bringing me a chassis car in from out of state for quite a few upgrades that include a new data logger installation, moving some bars so it will certify, sorting out why the car moves left on the hit, some fuel system plumbing and so on. I put some numbers together for him a week or so ago and got him on the phone. He told me this before I even got to the quote... "I do not have any problems paying my bill if I carry my car to someone to work on it. I pay in cash. And I also know that anytime I take my car in that the bill will be 3 times as much as I thought it would be to begin with, so I'm not worried about it."

Now, I don't doubt for one minute the guy is a stand up guy, he races with us and I know him. However, I don't like surprises and I know damned good and well my clients don't either. So, do I just get the car in and do what I have to without giving him any numbers? Or do I not take the car in until he knows what my ballpark initial quote is?

I know what I'm gonna do. Just curious to see what you guys would do.

g

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
I hear ya. I'm not one to talk about my business in public, but here's one for ya....

I've got a guy bringing me a chassis car in from out of state for quite a few upgrades that include a new data logger installation, moving some bars so it will certify, sorting out why the car moves left on the hit, some fuel system plumbing and so on. I put some numbers together for him a week or so ago and got him on the phone. He told me this before I even got to the quote... "I do not have any problems paying my bill if I carry my car to someone to work on it. I pay in cash. And I also know that anytime I take my car in that the bill will be 3 times as much as I thought it would be to begin with, so I'm not worried about it."

Now, I don't doubt for one minute the guy is a stand up guy, he races with us and I know him. However, I don't like surprises and I know damned good and well my clients don't either. So, do I just get the car in and do what I have to without giving him any numbers? Or do I not take the car in until he knows what my ballpark initial quote is?

g
I wouldnt take the car until a ball park is known ..i always price higher on est... and tell them it could fall lower or higher

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
it maybe that some people have had some bad experiences at other shops and have learned to question everything ... i know one thing, i will never own a porsche again ... that bastard never when in the shop for less than a grand no matter what it was

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Why is it when I take my truck to get it fixed There are 15 new parts on it that had nothing wrong with them to begain with?
I was given a price to have a transmission rebuilt and when I go to pick my truck up the bill is for 2 times the original amount. When I ask why they said they had to buy some parts for inside the transmission that they normaly do not have to buy.
WTF???

·
Registered
546 Posts
"So, do I just get the car in and do what I have to without giving him any numbers? Or do I not take the car in until he knows what my ballpark initial quote is? "

How about agreeing to charge a fair hourly rate for your services, then a fair markup or % for parts + mtrl
Then you bust our ass fixin it, he gets a good deal & you get paid on delivery. The American way.... sounds good to me!
I have been screwed over several times w/ guys bidding "the job", never fails they will need more $$ for something they overlooked..
Why bid the job if you don't know what the hell is involved?? Pay a man for his worth & move on..

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

g
If possible I think it best to quote the job--or tell him its "time plus materials"

I think people throw numbers around in their head and get what they think is a ballpark number but when it is all added up on paper it is higher than they expected. 100 bucks here and 50 bucks there ads up faster than people think.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Why is it when I take my truck to get it fixed There are 15 new parts on it that had nothing wrong with them to begain with?
I was given a price to have a transmission rebuilt and when I go to pick my truck up the bill is for 2 times the original amount. When I ask why they said they had to buy some parts for inside the transmission that they normaly do not have to buy.
WTF???
because they didnt know what was wrong to start with... they are parts changers

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it maybe that some people have had some bad experiences at other shops and have learned to question everything ... i know one thing, i will never own a porsche again ... that bastard never when in the shop for less than a grand no matter what it was

That is the problem, they only question the bottom line without actually looking at the cost of the parts and every operation.

I write a very detailed invoice, every single part is line itemed and every labor operation is line itemed.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WTF???
Did they give you the old parts????????

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
"So, do I just get the car in and do what I have to without giving him any numbers? Or do I not take the car in until he knows what my ballpark initial quote is? "

How about agreeing to charge a fair hourly rate for your services, then a fair markup or % for parts + mtrl
Then you bust our ass fixin it, he gets a good deal & you get paid on delivery. The American way.... sounds good to me!
I have been screwed over several times w/ guys bidding "the job", never fails they will need more $$ for something they overlooked..
Why bid the job if you don't know what the hell is involved?? Pay a man for his worth & move on..
just get the car or the business worry about the rest later

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
because they didnt know what was wrong to start with... they are parts changers
Generally a transmission part can be identified as bad. That is why I always save the parts for the customer and always ask if they would like to see them.

I try to always remember that nobody is happy to see me when they come to My shop--I have never been happy to pay for a repair on my car. That is why I always write a detailed invoice that hopefully helps the customer understand what they are paying for.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What this rant is really about is a customer that wrecked his truck and the insurance company is paying for the repair and he wants me to give him some money back because he thinks I am making lots of money on the job. I am already eating his $1000.00 deductable but he thinks I should give him money back on top of that.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Generally a transmission part can be identified as bad. That is why I always save the parts for the customer and always ask if they would like to see them.

I try to always remember that nobody is happy to see me when they come to My shop--I have never been happy to pay for a repair on my car. That is why I always write a detailed invoice that hopefully helps the customer understand what they are paying for.
Problem being is that a replacement transmission would of been cheaper then the route they gone.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Welcome to the auto biz.. got to be a hardass, nice guys finish last and dont make no money..

.. but do the job right, the first time, no excuses

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
That is the problem, they only question the bottom line without actually looking at the cost of the parts and every operation.

I write a very detailed invoice, every single part is line itemed and every labor operation is line itemed.
it can be bothersome .... its kinda like they didnt listen to you.... however i like it when i get asked questions it gives me an opportunity to show my superior knowledge .....lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts