Yellow Bullet Forums banner
961 - 980 of 995 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I've noticed in a lot of videos lately where the drivers are knocking the v-drive into gear with the engine running. We had a Throughobred (sp) gearbox in our Hondo BITD and we would paddle out and let the engine get some heat in it and then shut if off, turn the prop shaft by hand while pulling the lever back, then relight and go. I don't seem to hear that big clank sound now when guys put them in gear running...are Casale boxes cut to stop this from happening?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've noticed in a lot of videos lately where the drivers are knocking the v-drive into gear with the engine running. We had a Throughobred (sp) gearbox in our Hondo BITD and we would paddle out and let the engine get some heat in it and then shut if off, turn the prop shaft by hand while pulling the lever back, then relight and go. I don't seem to hear that big clank sound now when guys put them in gear running...are Casale boxes cut to stop this from happening?
No and it's hard on the dogs. Most don't do it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As RR said it is hard on the dogs.
Most vdrives now are Casales or the internals are Casale parts
Nearly all High horsepower boats are equipped with a “whirl away” which allows the prop to freewheel in the event of a catastrophic event that locks the engine or something in the driveline up preventing the boat from barrel rolling if the prop suddenly stops.
This advancement has saved many lives and serious injuries.
The videos you were watching were no doubt dragboats.
The way the Dogs are cut in the whirl away it allows you to put the boat in gear with the engine idling.
With the advent of the deadwater start of Drag Boat racing, this has been the goto way(there are some that use a Lenco clutch) to leave the starting line.
Most run an air activated shifter hooked to the vdrive with an electric button or switch run to the steering wheel.
Miss the old Thoroughbred vdrives.
You could hear the gear whine from a 1/2 mile away!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
As RR said it is hard on the dogs.
Most vdrives now are Casales or the internals are Casale parts
Nearly all High horsepower boats are equipped with a “whirl away” which allows the prop to freewheel in the event of a catastrophic event that locks the engine or something in the driveline up preventing the boat from barrel rolling if the prop suddenly stops.
This advancement has saved many lives and serious injuries.
The videos you were watching were no doubt dragboats.
The way the Dogs are cut in the whirl away it allows you to put the boat in gear with the engine idling.
With the advent of the deadwater start of Drag Boat racing, this has been the goto way(there are some that use a Lenco clutch) to leave the starting line.
Most run an air activated shifter hooked to the vdrive with an electric button or switch run to the steering wheel.
Miss the old Thoroughbred vdrives.
You could hear the gear whine from a 1/2 mile away!
Thanks for the explanation as I've heard about the Whirl away but just never thought to ask the question...so thanks for that!

Funny about the whine...it was more of a deafening high pitched harmonic that it would go into at about 2400 rpm in our boat. Seemed as though whenever we let a newbie drive it, they always liked that rpm! We'd have to scream at whomever was driving to either speed up or the slow down...gawd it was bad!

961 - 980 of 995 Posts