Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No guts, no glory or just maybe guts and a fail? We will see how it actually comes out. Might be good, might not be good but think I may just get lucky.

Picked up a prime tenderloin and rack of lamb at Costco for the holidays and happened to stop by good ol Kroger checking out deals and ran into one and bit on it. Personally not a huge fan of the regular beef at Kroger but this was just too cheap to pass up. I prefer prime for the holidays, but some things are hard to walk away from.

Doesn't have the marbling I like but it is from the ribs that I like and doesn't have any gristle so I think I can make it work. Honestly was just going to age it and have it ready in case anyone wanted some but my son bought movie tickets X-mas day for the new Star Wars movie in the afternoon so the timing to make it works out well. While we are watching the movie it can be holding in the oven. It will cook for a full 12 hours except for initial browning and additional browning in the broiler at then end. The temp of the oven will never go over 200 degrees and most of the time around 120.

The first thing I did was take it out of the Kroger plastic and rewrap it in cooking plastic and then into a plastic bag that has the air removed. Important when wet ageing that you remove all the air and the meat not exposed to oxygen.

That was 9-10 days ago. It won't age as long as I would like to be eaten for X-Mas but I think it will be OK. Thursday I will remove it from the plastic, cut the ribs away from the main section and do a heavy Kosher salt rub. I will reattach the ribs to the main section using string and dry age for 3 days more days. For the initial browning I will remove the ribs again, and brown both sections except for where they meet. I will again reattach the ribs, tie everything together with string and throw it into a 200 degree oven which I will turn off when the internal temp hits 100. If it rises too much I will completely remove it from the oven to prevent over cooking. Will then hold the internal temp between 110 and 120 for the rest of the day. The only seasoning will be salt and pepper. Nothing else is needed for good beef.

To be continued. Real time, is real time. It will take a while.

Like Anthony Bourdain said about Rachael Ray's 30 minutes meals............ "Nothing good happens in 30 minutes."

Denny

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think you guys will eat well. While not a prime, that roast is cut from the loin side (first-cut side) and has very decent marbling. Also, that cut is large enough that I don't think I'd be too worried about having to remove it from the oven unless the temperature spikes were waaayy outside of parameters; the oven environment going up-and-down a bit shouldn't effect the interior of the meat, as it takes the heat a while to get in there, so to speak. If the temp spikes do much to the outside I would think it would just be lessening the searing which will be required at some point in the cook anyway.
Thermoworks is running a sale on their "Chef Alarm" and it would be very handy for warning you if the oven temperature exceeds your upper (or lower) limit, just in case you don't have anything like this and are in need of another toy.......
Good luck, and enjoy the meal and movie!

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
No guts, no glory or just maybe guts and a fail? We will see how it actually comes out. Might be good, might not be good but think I may just get lucky.

Picked up a prime tenderloin and rack of lamb at Costco for the holidays and happened to stop by good ol Kroger checking out deals and ran into one and bit on it. Personally not a huge fan of the regular beef at Kroger but this was just too cheap to pass up. I prefer prime for the holidays, but some things are hard to walk away from.

Doesn't have the marbling I like but it is from the ribs that I like and doesn't have any gristle so I think I can make it work. Honestly was just going to age it and have it ready in case anyone wanted some but my son bought movie tickets X-mas day for the new Star Wars movie in the afternoon so the timing to make it works out well. While we are watching the movie it can be holding in the oven. It will cook for a full 12 hours except for initial browning and additional browning in the broiler at then end. The temp of the oven will never go over 200 degrees and most of the time around 120.

The first thing I did was take it out of the Kroger plastic and rewrap it in cooking plastic and then into a plastic bag that has the air removed. Important when wet ageing that you remove all the air and the meat not exposed to oxygen.

That was 9-10 days ago. It won't age as long as I would like to be eaten for X-Mas but I think it will be OK. Thursday I will remove it from the plastic, cut the ribs away from the main section and do a heavy Kosher salt rub. I will reattach the ribs to the main section using string and dry age for 3 days more days. For the initial browning I will remove the ribs again, and brown both sections except for where they meet. I will again reattach the ribs, tie everything together with string and throw it into a 200 degree oven which I will turn off when the internal temp hits 100. If it rises too much I will completely remove it from the oven to prevent over cooking. Will then hold the internal temp between 110 and 120 for the rest of the day. The only seasoning will be salt and pepper. Nothing else is needed for good beef.

To be continued. Real time, is real time. It will take a while.

Like Anthony Bourdain said about Rachael Ray's 30 minutes meals............ "Nothing good happens in 30 minutes."

Denny
That last sentence screams for a corny reply, but I'll let it go........out of respect for my wife( lol) and this great thread.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Like Anthony Bourdain said about Rachael Ray's 30 minutes meals............ "Nothing good happens in 30 minutes

Except for------------------------------->PIZZA!!!!!!

Denny,

I cook big cut's of beef just like you do but, I take a steak knife, make about 5-6 hole's deep into the beef and, insert 1/2 clove of garlic into each hole.

Love the flavor garlic adds to the beef and, it's like a little treat getting to that garlic clove, chewing it up like a little piece of garlic candy!!!!!

Jim

·
Former RJ instigator
44,103 Posts
Like Anthony Bourdain said about Rachael Ray's 30 minutes meals............ "Nothing good happens in 30 minutes

Denny,

I cook big cut's of beef just like you do but, I take a steak knife, make about 5-6 hole's deep into the beef and, insert 1/2 clove of garlic into each hole.

Love the flavor garlic adds to the beef and, it's like a little treat getting to that garlic clove, chewing it up like a little piece of garlic candy!!!!!

Jim
I with Jim on the garlic and Pizza.

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you guys will eat well. While not a prime, that roast is cut from the loin side (first-cut side) and has very decent marbling. Also, that cut is large enough that I don't think I'd be too worried about having to remove it from the oven unless the temperature spikes were waaayy outside of parameters; the oven environment going up-and-down a bit shouldn't effect the interior of the meat, as it takes the heat a while to get in there, so to speak. If the temp spikes do much to the outside I would think it would just be lessening the searing which will be required at some point in the cook anyway.
Thermoworks is running a sale on their "Chef Alarm" and it would be very handy for warning you if the oven temperature exceeds your upper (or lower) limit, just in case you don't have anything like this and are in need of another toy.......
Good luck, and enjoy the meal and movie!
Roger

You honestly impress me. You really do know your stuff. We will see how it comes out but every post you do tells me you "you've been there, done it, n got the Tee shirt to prove it." ??? good mind.

Gonna also do a bit on steakhouse mashed tators to go with the roast n why people pay 8 bucks for a side of mashed Tators. Think you know where I'm coming from, you don't slice n boil. You cook with skins on so you don't loose flavor, butter, half n half........a steak knife can stand straight up in them. In live time, to keep me honest. Maybe even a horseradish sauce but I will admit to being an Au Jus fan only. How to make a cheat Au Jus? I'm ashamed to tell. N no, it ain't from a 99 cent packet. But damn close.

Great post. Seriously.

Denny

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Denny,

Jim
Hell, it takes me 30 minutes to just weigh out the ingredients, make the dough n kneed it. Clean up a mess. Then it has to sit in the fridge for 8 hours n then rest at room temp for an hour. Of course, I am not fickle or anything. ?

Thanks for the idea. We see our son about three times a year so each time we try to make it special. Trip to China? That works!

He is flying in for Christmas. Tomorrow I'm off to the Asian markets to buy the stuff to do what we learned in cooking class in China. Gonna box up what can be boxed up, put some Christmas paper on it n put it under the tree. Sounds like family bonding time to me. Pizza may be another. Ya, good idea. Thirty minutes? Really need to look at some of her shows, but unless you order n have it delivered, no fricken way.

Denny

·
Former RJ instigator
44,103 Posts
Roger

You honestly impress me. You really do know your stuff. We will see how it comes out but every post you do tells me you "you've been there, done it, n got the Tee shirt to prove it." ??? good mind.

Gonna also do a bit on steakhouse mashed tators to go with the roast n why people pay 8 bucks for a side of mashed Tators. Think you know where I'm coming from, you don't slice n boil. You cook with skins on so you don't loose flavor, butter, half n half........a steak knife can stand straight up in them. In live time, to keep me honest. Maybe even a horseradish sauce but I will admit to being an Au Jus fan only. How to make a cheat Au Jus? I'm ashamed to tell. N no, it ain't from a 99 cent packet. But damn close.

Great post. Seriously.

Denny
Better than bouillon beef base?

·
Former RJ instigator
44,103 Posts
Hell, it takes me 30 minutes to just weigh out the ingredients, make the dough n kneed it. Clean up a mess. Then it has to sit in the fridge for 8 hours n then rest at room temp for an hour. Of course, I am not fickle or anything. ?

Thanks for the idea. We see our son about three times a year so each time we try to make it special. Trip to China? That works!

He is flying in for Christmas. Tomorrow I'm off to the Asian markets to buy the stuff to do what we learned in cooking class in China. Gonna box up what can be boxed up, put some Christmas paper on it n put it under the tree. Sounds like family bonding time to me. Pizza may be another. Ya, good idea. Thirty minutes? Really need to look at some of her shows, but unless you order n have it delivered, no fricken way.

Denny
Or, take a pizza out of the freezer and bake it, I can be eating a 4 meat tombstone pizza in less than 30 mins.

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Better than bouillon beef base?
Pretty damn close. As much as I like to make things from scratch I'm not searing n boiling Ox tails to make Au Jus. I use Better than Bouillon and commercial brown gravy power as a thickener. Is there a difference? sure. Most people wouldn't know. Hell of a lot less hassle.

An alternative to Horseradish sauce:

Mustard Cream Sauce

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup cream
2 egg yokes
5 teaspoons Dijon mustard (or do like I do and go by the color)
1 tablespoon minced chives
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
small hit of sugar
Salt n pepper to taste.

Denny

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here comes the Salt n dry ageing part.

Score the top making sure you don't cut through the fat cap. (Helps the salt penetrate)

Cut the ribs away making a flap.

Salt the shit out of it and use butchers twine to put the ribs back in place. Why cut a flap n put it back? Helps the salt penetrate into the beef better and you will still get the flavor from the bone.

Used 3 tablespoons of Kosher Salt and probably 1 tablespoon was wasted. Did it outside to keep the mess out of the house as salt gets everywhere. So now? We let it sit till Sunday Morning. You can do this anywhere between 24 and up to 96 hours ahead of time. Why let it sit? Research has shown salt will penetrate about 1/2 an inch per day. Being I'm going to cook it on Sunday the salt should have a chance to get to the center of the roast.

The Tenderloin? Letting it wet age in the butchers wrap in case my son wants steaks. If not, will just trim n cut the steaks n freeze them. That way I have aged Filets whenever I want.

I'll be damned. And I thought I was the only one who know how to salt and slow cook beef to make it tender. Read it close. Guess the secret on how the steak houses do it is no longer a secret. Well, stuff happens.

Denny

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.