Votes: 34 57.6%
  • glide

Votes: 25 42.4%
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys recommend..going in a stock suspension g-body that's around 3000 with the driver..still haven't decided on the converter..have an 8" but heard 7" is the way to go

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Gonna need a 7" converter in that bad boy. I think that an 8" converter will be too tight. The engine will like the extra gear of a 400, but it will have to be a light weight 400. A Pro-Trans 3-speed is really the way to go if the pocket book would allow. Good luck & have fun changing valve springs...lol. 10,000 rpm here we come!

Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice...& we won't exactly have the funds for everything high dollar ha..we got the engine on a good deal..prolly gonna be hell with those rpms..but gotta do what you gotta do..but you're saying a regular th400 is not the way to go? Already have a glide from behind my nitrous combo..& know of a built th400 I can get but I'm sure it's not anything special

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also who sells the best horsepower converter..7" that is since that's what Paul recommended...I'm new to this all out horsepower stuff..we usually have Cameron just build us 1

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
The 2.48 low gear in the turbo 400 will kill a "Real" Stock Susp G-Body and if its dead hooked on radials it just going to rotate on the rear axles. Unless your going to degear it with the rear gear then its going to have high gear issues. What rear end housing do you have? Because the IC will be the next issue to deal with

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it has a 9 inch in it with 4.56 gears..used to have a big block...12 point cage..ect...but I understand where you're coming from on the high gear issue..might just stick with the glide I already have..I already have a hard time keeping it down..it's been on the bumper 3 times out of the 4 passes I've made

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
depending on what type of track your running id go with a turbo 400. If you can get the thing to hook with the turbo 400 and not mess up anything in the rear suspension like stated above youd be better off with the turbo 400 because you will have more low gear to work with. and since the 358 dont have a big stroke for tq you will want that low gear

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for your advice...since I don't know of anybody with a nice th400 & I already have a pretty decent glide from my nitrous combo I think I'll stick with it

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I would use the glide and gear for running out the back door ride a lot of stall out in low gear. There is no reason for going on the bumper on a Bias tire. Lower the back of the car to get the lower bar below level, slow the front shocks a lot, Lock the front down with the limiters, tighten the ext on the rear shocks and add air till they slip. With a Bias you go on the bumper because you dont have enough power for the way you have the car set up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it won't be going on the bumper anymore I have tubular a arms with limiters & adjustable coilovers now..I didn't have that before

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
LOL See my avitar, they will still hit the bumper if you dead hook the tire Radial or Bias!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
At that weight and horsepower level I believe with the right converter the glide would be faster and more consistent IMO. As far as converters UCC and PTC are some good choices to name a few. Personally I would call up them up and ask their opinion also.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts