Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a TH400 thats slipping when on the t-brake. Car is a turbo car & it seems to slip more when hot.

Th400 with ******* VB, pressure tested 150psi in 1st gear, 125psi in Rev w/ brake button on, 125 in neutral w/ brake button on. Solenoid seems to be strong, it is travelling all the way when looking from the outside & activating it.

We took the servo off (under the pan) and flat sanded it, checked the travel & its fine so the band is adjusted properly

I had this trans last season, it worked flawlessly EXCEPT the last pass of the season, it pushed me through the lights at the tree.....refreshened it this past winter & now its pushing all the time

Any help on this? Anything else we can do to check?

-Carm

·
Registered
387 Posts
at a minimum pressure should be 180. I usually run 200 on my stuff. do you remember if you have any c shaped washers under the pressure regulator spring seat or are you just running the spring seat.. Did the ******* kit come with a new press reg spring?

Mike.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Mike.....the kit did come with a new pressure regulator spring & we dropped the pan Fri night trying to iron it out (flatsand the servo cover, new gasket, etc)

When we did this, we added the horseshoe on the press regulator spring and we changed the boost valve as well.

The pump checked out fine at the time of rebuild (this past winter) aside from the 2 halves possibly being warped, the gears, crescent etc checked out fine

This ******* VB has been in the car for 3 yrs now, and ******* doesnt use gaskets, just an aluminum plate. Is it possible we're losing pressure from this plate? It has been on/off the trans a few times now

-Carm

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hey Mike.....the kit did come with a new pressure regulator spring & we dropped the pan Fri night trying to iron it out (flatsand the servo cover, new gasket, etc)

When we did this, we added the horseshoe on the press regulator spring and we changed the boost valve as well.

The pump checked out fine at the time of rebuild (this past winter) aside from the 2 halves possibly being warped, the gears, crescent etc checked out fine

This ******* VB has been in the car for 3 yrs now, and ******* doesnt use gaskets, just an aluminum plate. Is it possible we're losing pressure from this plate? It has been on/off the trans a few times now

-Carm
junk it buy a real tranny:-Daw:smt075:WGAF:smt021hehehehe

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stop flaunting those fake dyno numbers....and remember this is the tranny that gave it to you in front of about 100 ppl 3 yrs ago, twice in a row :D

Any help guys....really jammed on this one and i'd like to try anything/everything before having to pull it

-Carm

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm having the same problem right now Carm. My tranny guy is going to have a look at it tomorrow. Maybe I'll have some ideas for you after that.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hey guys, I have a TH400 thats slipping when on the t-brake. Car is a turbo car & it seems to slip more when hot.

Th400 with ******* VB, pressure tested 150psi in 1st gear, 125psi in Rev w/ brake button on, 125 in neutral w/ brake button on. Solenoid seems to be strong, it is travelling all the way when looking from the outside & activating it.

We took the servo off (under the pan) and flat sanded it, checked the travel & its fine so the band is adjusted properly

I had this trans last season, it worked flawlessly EXCEPT the last pass of the season, it pushed me through the lights at the tree.....refreshened it this past winter & now its pushing all the time

Any help on this? Anything else we can do to check?

-Carm
Can you give us some history on the ovehaul - Like what got checked out/replace & if anything was burned or broke ?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything got re-sealed......we added a new center support & direct drum with a new sprag.

During the overhaul this past winter, w noticed the locking snap-ring broke & came off the drum....which damaged the center support. The intermediate clutches were a little smoked so they were replaced. The transmission still worked fine though, didnt even know anything was broken.

The pump looked mint as well

Thanks for the help so far

-Carm

·
Registered
818 Posts
I didn't have time to get the full details but mine was a ring that goes in behind the pump. From what I understand it got damaged on the assembly.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Riding Automatics not sure on the casting numbers, i'll take a look tommorrow night. Is there something with the pump castings i should know about?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well we got her figured out. Thanks a bunch to Hutch for answering our questions, and thanks a MILLION to my good friend Juliano for making it happen....it ended up being a weak pressure regulator spring in the pump.

We yanked it out & could tell right away it was much softer than the spring out of another t-brake VB kit....so we swapped it, added the horseshoe & now have 190psi at idle in Park & 165psi in gear with the tbrake on (at idle).

Car didnt move an inch, its perfect!

-Carm

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fack i owe you a few coffee's!!!!!! Great help man we really appreciate it! When we meet up @ the track, we'll settle it up at the beer tent :D

-Carm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts