Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is this normal or abnormal wear for a pump? I can feel the grooves with my finger nail. The pump gears had just over a .002 tolerance when I measured with a straight edge and feeler gauge. My trusty atsg manual says .0027 is the limit.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
That looks a little cobby to me. But I have seen much worse go a long time in not so demanding applications. How old is that set up would you say? And what does it need to support moving forward from this build?

No doubt it would make pressure. But, what sort of life will it see moving forward vs the budget and expectations of your customer? Pumps are cheap compared to doing it again right?

g

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It came from an 8 bolt case with all aluminum apply pistons. I would guess the setup was at least 35 years old. That was my main concern, whether it would make pressure or not. It's going behind an all motor 302 and then possibly a 351 on a small shot, all stock rotating assemblies, so not a ton of WHP.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There are plenty of people out there that would take the "it's just a race car" stance, and run that.... It's a little rough for my tastes.

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll inform my buddy of the condition, and implications of it. Assuming it makes decent line pressure in every gear, would that mean its operable?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd be more concerned about how long it would last, and how much metal it would make... You could try to clean up the pump body with a little polishing and/or glass beading. I think I'd replace those pump gears regardless... The inside bore where it centers on the converter is hammered.

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotcha. Are pump gears something I can just buy by themselves? Or you guys think I should just get an eBay pump?

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just found a bunch of pump gears on eBay, they even sell a bunch of different thickness's. That's neat! Lol. What do you guys think, just new gears? Or eBay used pump?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pump gears are readily available from any trans supplier and pretty cheap. There are several different thickness gears for the 400. You'd need to identify which ones you have first. They'll measure .725", .727" ect...

A rebuilt pump shouldn't be all that expensive either...

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would a place like WIT or daaco have a good used pump or would it be refurbed and within spec? I just don't wanna buy twice.

·
Banned
16,597 Posts
You need to find a parts supplier, and with it the understanding of why it's not cheap and easy to do good work. That pump is scrap, however Dacco or a place like that can probably rebuild it, when you get a dozen or two together send 'em in.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Would a place like WIT or daaco have a good used pump or would it be refurbed and within spec? I just don't wanna buy twice.
I've dealt with wit before with pretty good success, but if that's the same daaco that sells reman converters, you won't catch me anywhere near that place. Their converters about put us out of business about 10 years ago. About 50-75% of the converters that we installed during an overhaul in a years time came back blown up, and took the trans out with it.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Scrap metal. Looks like the pump gears have substantial wear in the converter hub contact area as well.
I would advise not buying pump bodies re machined with over sized gears (typical for dacco)
I have yet to see one machined/clearance properly.

·
Banned
16,597 Posts
Pump gears oversize on diameter are needed for proper reman of a pump body. We had Dacco do a pallet of PG pumps a couple years ago, they did need some detailing but all were usable. As pumps get harder to find.........well be particular at your own peril. 400's will be getting tough before long, save your worn cores, wish I wouldn't have trashed so many glide pumps back in the day.

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so save this one, don't scrap (don't use either), and get another pump.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts