Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought this box from a guy i know, he had a problem with the pump (the shop that built it put steel seals on the back shaft of the pump and they span), so he got the pump off and also the first todrums. This how i got it, i put it back together with a new pump (hup2230), i have never done anything with transmissions before so just made sure they went in as far as they would go. I then drove 140 miles to the track and had a very bad vibration that turned out to be the flexplate so got that changed no more vibration, went round and done a burn out (in 2rd) and just before/as i rolled out of the water box it felt like the box was slipping, anyway got shut down with water leak (bloody fan switch sensor in the top horse) got pushed back then went to drive back on reverse could go forwards. Back in the pits i found i could get reverse with lots of throttle but then i came of it was like the brakes were on, got it for a drive round the pits and stabbed the throttle the box slipped in 1st tried 2nd and that was the same and 3rd then found there was a bit to much fluid init so drain drove round the pits and it was slipping worse. i had to drive up the road to get away from the track to be recovered and as i slowed down at about 2000-1500rpm there was a small vibration. Anyone help me with this please.

The box is/was freshed before i got it and had only done 3 meets 7 passes and a few street miles.
It built for 700hp+ full reverse manual with a t/brake that was not wired, he told me it didnt end to be and he had not had it wired.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fluid was black but didnt smell when i drained some at the track. Do you think i have burnt the clutchs thats what i think. But why did i put it together wrong it was fine on the way to the track just went bad in the burnout.
Thanx for the help.

·
Super Moderator
19,975 Posts
If the Oil is black the trans is toast and I do think it burnt some clutch's . I think it started to go bad all the way to the track and as soon as you loaded it , it died. I can't tell you why it failed but all you can do is get it apart and let me know what you see.

Hutch

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it apart and the front clutches are worn completely, when i pulled the pump off the first drum was not all the way home and when i took the clutches out of it there is a wear make in the bottum where the centre goes. Would i be right in thinking that i had not put this together right in the first place.
Thanx Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts