Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can using low rear end gears cause my trans temp to get too hot ? In my case I'm running 4:11's on the street and the more I drive my car during any given day, the trans temp gauge just keeps climbing to about 250 degrees, especially on a hot day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stall is 2650, not very high. I have a large cooler in front of the radiator with 3/8 cooler lines. The engine is a big block chevy and never has run too hot, usually around 190 degrees. The trans is rebuilt and performs flawlessly other than the high temps,which usually occurs in the hot summer days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it's difficult to make a diagnosis not seeing the vehicle. I guess I wasn't sure if I wanted to pull those 4:11's out and go to a little higher gear, like a 3:55 or so if I didn't have too. The car turns around 3000 rpm on the highway, which isn't too bad. I don't drive on the freeway all the time anyway. I appreciate any thoughts on the subject of rear gears vs trans temp. Thanks.

·
Capri For Sale
12,976 Posts
If you've got a good cooler and good fluid and air flow I'd say it's too full. Too much fluid staying up in the gear train and getting heated up. My thought, certainly could be wrong though.

·
Registered
17,385 Posts
More details on "large cooler".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts