Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My direct clutch came in at .055" clearance which I believe is fine for my setup (trans brake rmvb). Now my forward clutch stack came in at like .018" to .019" clearance. According to the book im following it's stating .010 to .020 clearance on the forward. But i've read on here that I want around .050" on the forward stack as well. Any suggestions on how to open up the clearance on the forward drum? It currently has .077" flat steels and stock thickness frictions. I'm using a mag base dial indicator on the tooth of the top friction with the drum all assembled.

·
Registered
559 Posts
.055 is a bit much for the forward IMO. If you could get another .010 in there would be better.
What do you have for a wave plate? Do you have any steels double stacked? How thick is your piston, it should be aluminum not steel for an HD build.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.055 is a bit much for the forward IMO. If you could get another .010 in there would be better.
What do you have for a wave plate? Do you have any steels double stacked? How thick is your piston, it should be aluminum not steel for an HD build.
the .055 is on the direct clutch. the forward is coming in at .018". All flat steels no double stack. Alum piston used in both drums. I will have to measure the piston.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Machine pistons to make it right. Are you using wave plates in either pack? What is the build specs? Auto shift, transbrake?

Hutch
Hipster full manual transbrake vb. 5/5/3 stackup. no waves all flat steels. waffles in the direct and intermediate, billet forward clutch hub. So do I want to shoot for the .010" per friction that's recommened for a total of around .050" in the forward clutch? the .055" is fine in the direct? I will pull the forward piston and measure it, check around to find a place it machine the piston. Will most any trans shop be able to machine it for me or do I need to go to a machine shop?

·
Registered
559 Posts
For a purely street driven car, is 0.020" clearance on the fwd clutch going to be a problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you don't have the facilities to machine the fwd piston,then just buy one after market thinner steel plate from Alto or Kolene and swap it for one of the .077" plates. A common .060" steel will give you an extra .017" - so you'll have .035" fwd pack clearance, I would put the thinner plate bottom or top of the stack. I normally aim for .030" clearance on the fwd, I'm sure others have their preference.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My early post wasn't so clear. I prefer about .030" clearance in the forwards and machine the piston or would use one .060" steel and you should get your clearance (as Taff also said).
FYI if you have no wave steel in the forwards trans will engage harsh when putting into drive depending on stall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts