Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
800hp SBC 3200lb car I was playing around running an index class this weekend so I had the shift turned way down (6900)

Track started getting a touch slick and the car chattered the tires a bit on the launch. I hit second it made the shift and about half a second later it banged the rev limiter like I put it in neutral.

I coasted to a stop looked underneath no fluid so we drug it off the track. I get back to the pits and all the gears seem to work. I had issues with one locking up on me a couple years ago after blowing the intermediate piston out. So I loaded it up took it home and pulled it apart.

Weird thing is I didnt really see a smoking gun type problem. 1 lug broke off after I pulled the intermediate snap ring out. Like it was still wedged in there until the snap ring came out. The direct clutches showed some wear and the steels had some blue spots. The very first steel against the direct piston was weird looking actually looked kind of cone shaped. All the other clutches and steels looked good the sprag seemed to hold turning it by hand. I pulled it apart and it looked pretty normal. There wasn't much in the bottom of the pan maybe a little friction and just enough to notice on the magnet.

This is a trans I got from PTC after my last one locked up going 130mph. I put my own stuff together up until that point. I was a little gun shy after having that kind of failure so I just bought one turn key. It had 192 passes on it today when whatever went wrong.

Any insite on where to look and what to look at would be appreciated. I really want to get this thing back together for Memorial weekend.

It also doesnt have any kind of "case saver" in it. I havent ever actually used one could I still use this case with one? The lug that broke is the one right next to the wide gap where there arent any. Its located right about the 8 o'clock position

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you may have ahad a shifter problem and the trans went back to first gear. You can install a case lug and use that case.

Hutch
I dont think it was a shifter issue. It is a ratchet shifter and it definetly was in 2nd gear on the detent. The shifter was still in 2nd when I got back into the car to tow it off the track.

It also spiked to the rev limiter pretty hard. I was shifting it at only 6900 I usually shift at 8000 If it went back to 1st it may have banged the limiter (set at 8500) but I wouldnt think it would have felt like it did. I actually thought I broke the rear end or a drive shaft. That is the car felt like it quit moving.

Any thoughts on why the direct steels showed some heat and what might be up with the first steel? I have never seen one look like that.

Thanks
Craig

·
Super Moderator
19,777 Posts
If it didn't go to 1st (shifter adjustment problem) then the sprag didn't do its job and the trans defaulted to 1st , its that simple.

The clutch's may be burnt and have bent steels due to the same reason (shifter adjustment) or a transbrake release problem.

Hutch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts