Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building my 400 and installed my intermed and found my clearence with a flat steel (no wave) to be .040 then I relized I had a steel piston so I bought an aluminum piston installed it and reassembled it. now with no wave I have .008 both of these measurements are with a 106 upper flat snap ring .
Now I installed the 400 wave and removed a clutch to 3 total clutches but i have .050 with wave and having my stack consist of wave/clutch/steel/clutch/steel/clutch/steel/pressure plate.

Now should I run the wave with a steel to the pressure plate and leave .050 or
should I pick up a thinner .077 flat final snap ring and run 4 clutches with proper steel to clutch with no wave ring?

This trans is behind a 496 bbc in a 69 skylark and has a tci transbrake with 34 element sprag and drum set and I rollerized the output shaft pressure area at back of trans. I followed all other factory specs other than what my transbrake told me to do. I ran my direct clearence at .070 because instruction told me to run that with no wave in direct

One last question
when I install my reverse band piston it applys the reverse band just by installing it. Is it suppose to do this then pressure releases it when needed?
thanks for any and all help guys

·
Registered
144 Posts
band must be free after inslalling it,, max .010 per lined clutch. i like a mild waved in 2 but not a

lot, like a old one that most of the wave is gone

Roger

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.010 per clutch I understand.
but when I stick my reverse piston in and the pin hits the rear band and litely applys it then thats too tight . If thats the case how do I loosen it .
I figured it always has light load on it at all times but only allows movement in reverse. but when any forward gears are applied the pressure from those gears push the piston in the valvebody harder and applies the band to keep reverse from working .
please correct me if i'm wrong I dont need a high gear lock up or anything like that.
thank you

band must be free after inslalling it,, max .010 per lined clutch. i like a mild waved in 2 but not a

lot, like a old one that most of the wave is gone

Roger

·
Super Moderator
19,639 Posts
There are 3 different length reverse apply pin lengths. If its too long you'll have to grind it to make it shorter or find a shorter pin, they have ID grooves on the tip , either 1 -2 or 3 rings. 1 being the shortest.
Some bands are shit and they drag , you'll have to check the pin travel , it may be easier for you to chek it and see it with the center support out of the trans.
Some VB designs accumulate under the rev piston to help it off after a transbrake release.

If you want 4 clutch's in the intermediate you will need thin steels and frictions and possibly an early 4L80E pressure plate to get there. If your using 3 plates and you have .050" that sounds fine. I would not suggest a thin snap ring in that location.

Hutch

·
Registered
781 Posts
Are you using a new or relined band or a good GM oem band? If it is new or relined I found them to be a little thicker. Some trans rebuilders will take a few thousands off the carrier to clean it up...If it is new or relined than get a good used oem band and try it for size.....If it is a GM oem than look at the id grooves on the reverse piston and grind the pin length as Hutch states...........

·
Registered
602 Posts
Watch the rear band clearance.. I have seen big differences in band fitment from the same box of product.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you guys I have it all set . I checked rear band for movement using air and it's not too tight when relaxed.
Mike Ridings helped my with my stack height.
thank you guys for your advise

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will let him know I'll be dropping another converter off this week . p.m. me and I'll shoot you his number.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts