Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would you rather use a 3 clutch stack with the thick .092 frictions and the .100 steels or a 4 clutch stack with the thin .062 frictions and .065 steels. Either way I go these will be on top of a wavy steel and I am using the stock 400 pressure plate. Any suggestions?
I have always preferred the thick clutches. Its a 34 element sprag on an aluminum drum if that makes a difference. Im just trying to get away from this sprag rolling crap.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Would you rather use a 3 clutch stack with the thick .092 frictions and the .100 steels or a 4 clutch stack with the thin .062 frictions and .065 steels. Either way I go these will be on top of a wavy steel and I am using the stock 400 pressure plate. Any suggestions?
I have always preferred the thick clutches. Its a 34 element sprag on an aluminum drum if that makes a difference. Im just trying to get away from this sprag rolling crap.

Here is my suggestion: using a 400 wave steel, 3 4l80-e intermediate flat steels, 4 4l80-e high energy frictions, stock 400 pressure plate, and either a .088 or .106 TF 727 front clutch snap ring.

1. Wave steel down first, then a friction, then a flat steel, then alternate till you get to the pressure plate, Then use either the .088 or .106 TF 727 front clutch snap ring to get the clearance. Cheap and easy, plus it works!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
69 Camaro 275dr car 3550lbs. BBC 900hp to flywheel plus two nos kits on a progressive, TCI transbrake, stock gear set with 3.55 rear gear, TCI aluminum drum, alto hi energy clutches. I shift at 7500rpm. It was a 5.30 car in the 1/8 till I rolled the sprag on a heavy stock drum.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
ATI part#405472 center support is machined for a teflon coated bushing for use with an aluminum drum. its a nice piece and works. i made comment on another thread here the other day to a guy that was rolling 34 element sprags about the part#405471 that i put in mine and haven't had a sprag failure since.I also have a 4 disc stack in my trans. but i use a steel drum. ATI list the one u want for $152.19 but u could save money by calling SUMMIT and giveing them the part#. why i don't know but when i called summit to use my summit card to purches it it was about $14.00 cheaper! might consider it. like i said i haven't had a failur since. hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
19,627 Posts
You may be able to get away with a 3 clutch depending on line pressure with the alum drum. If you use a 4 clutch setup with .078" steels and 4L80E clutch's (.080") then you will want to use the early 4L80E pressure plate also which is .375" thick to get the clearance where it needs to be. You may have to juggle steels and/or clutch's to get it right.

Hutch

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. So am right in thinking those .062 thick clutches are too thin for my application?
This trans had a 3 clutch stack in it. Two of those clutches were black and the other not so bad but I am used to that. I would like to get better service out of the int clutches with the aluminum drum and wavy plate and continue to run 3 clutches, but if I need to go with 4 I will. I have always gotten better service from thick plates in a dynamically shifted pack.

·
Super Moderator
19,627 Posts
NO problem , go with 3. All thick clutch's ans steels + T400 .437" pressure plate with the alum drum and you'll be fine. Did you run the wave plate before?

Hutch

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NO. I didnt run the wavy before.
I can install the wavy, three .065 steels and four .062 frictions with the stock pressure plate and the stock retainer ring and still have .080 clearance. I have the clutches on hand to go either way, just couldnt make up my mind.

·
Registered
387 Posts
NO. I didnt run the wavy before.
I can install the wavy, three .065 steels and four .062 frictions with the stock pressure plate and the stock retainer ring and still have .080 clearance. I have the clutches on hand to go either way, just couldnt make up my mind.
Do yourself a big, big favor. Dump that stock intermediate snap ring and use a .106 torqueflight 727 front clutch snap ring in its place. You'll be happier in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
19,627 Posts
Do yourself a big, big favor. Dump that stock intermediate snap ring and use a .106 torqueflight 727 front clutch snap ring in its place. You'll be happier in the long run.
Better yet , get a proper case lug in there and your worries are over. The .106 chrysler snap ring doesn't always fit into the case groove so be careful.

Hutch

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you only have .080" clearance with 3 steels how will you get the wave plate in there as the 4th steel?

Hutch
If I use the three clutch set up it looks like I will have to use one of the .062 frictions in place of a .092 friction in order to use the wavy.
I ran a lot of clearance on the initial build, 0.115 if I remember right without the wavy. Back then I was thinking the additional clearance would allow more fluid between the plates and maybe I could stop burning them but I didnt realize they were burning trying to stop that heavy ass drum at high rpm.

·
Super Moderator
19,627 Posts
If you go to a 3 clutch , don't use the thin parts. The wave is usually .090" which is why I asked how you were planning on getting it in when you only had .080" clearance.

Clearance should be set to .010"/clutch plate.

Hutch

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you go to a 3 clutch , don't use the thin parts. The wave is usually .090" which is why I asked how you were planning on getting it in when you only had .080" clearance.

Clearance should be set to .010"/clutch plate.

Hutch
I wasnt going too. I was trying different stuff and noticed I could get 4 frictions in there but with thin stuff or I could use 3 with 2 thick plates and 1 thin plate and still have clearance. If I cut the clearance down then I could use all thick stuff in the 3 friction setup.
So with a 3 friction pack you would use a .030 clearance or a .040 with 4? I have never run them that tight.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts