Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many people are using a 2.48 th400 in the 8.5 classes?can you hook the tire or is a glide the only to go

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I know guys that run AOD's and 700r4s with them with even bigger first gears and they work. It is all in the suspension. I wouldn't run a glide. Too many guys run glides to mask a wrong suspension tune up and the car slows down more than if it were spinning with the 3 speed..What is the suspension like? Weight of car? Converter? Gear?

·
Registered
632 Posts
how many people are using a 2.48 th400 in the 8.5 classes?can you hook the tire or is a glide the only to go
We ran the hell outta one all last year in 8.5, won quite a few events too with a TH400. Our best time to date is 1.24 60' 5.25 at 137.5mph, the trans was set up by Dave with a 2.10 gear set to calm it down a bit.

Craig

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know guys that run AOD's and 700r4s with them with even bigger first gears and they work. It is all in the suspension. I wouldn't run a glide. Too many guys run glides to mask a wrong suspension tune up and the car slows down more than if it were spinning with the 3 speed..What is the suspension like? Weight of car? Converter? Gear?
I am not talking about a street car, Im talking about the outlaw 8.5 classes

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We ran the hell outta one all last year in 8.5, won quite a few events too with a TH400. Our best time to date is 1.24 60' 5.25 at 137.5mph, the trans was set up by Dave with a 2.10 gear set to calm it down a bit.

Craig
was this in a boosted car or nitrous car ? what is the price for the 2.10 gear set / I know its pricey that what i was asking about a 2.48 first, or maybe build a glide with a 1.80 in the stock planatery

·
Registered
632 Posts
was this in a boosted car or nitrous car ? what is the price for the 2.10 gear set / I know its pricey that what i was asking about a 2.48 first, or maybe build a glide with a 1.80 in the stock planatery
Its a 281 ci Mod Motor with a F2 at max blower speed, if I remember right the gearset is about $1500 give or take. On a budget I would say you could start with the 2.48 and go from there. Hands down though the TH400 with withstand so much more abuse than any other trans.

Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts