Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a t400 with a 2.10 gear set but i cant get 3rd gear to act right... when you shift to 3rd it just stays in 2cd till you let up a little then in oozes into 3rd and slips while in there.

will not go into 3rd just driving around just stays in 2cd,about to pull my hair out.has a rmvb with a brake.

now here is a weird one..if you go from park and ratchet back to neutral i have it......if you go all the way to low and then back to neutral it is still in gear and no neutral....

it is not a shifter adjustment problem..first thing i checked and its a proratchet so it goes 1 gear at a time.

transbrake works and the car pulls hard in 1st and 2cd..good solid shift to 2cd..

has a new pump in it as well.

any idea's?

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the converter was in my powerglide and has the support bushing...would that cause this?

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Hows the fluid look? I've ran across a situation like this and found someone had put a high gear drum together with the wrong combination piston. ( no check ball in the drum or piston) it would start to burn the high clutches within 3-5 mi. street driving it. Just throwing it out there!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Damn Will, I was about to post this same problem except none of the fancy stuff. Just a stock Th400 that decided not to shift @ redline saturday !!

·
Super Moderator
19,709 Posts
Sounds like a shifter problem and I have heard this many times before with ratchet shifters. The fat cables are garbage and will create this scenario. Check the linkage in 1-2-3 and make sure the linkage is not hitting the shield when going into 3rd.

Hutch

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Hows the fluid look? I've ran across a situation like this and found someone had put a high gear drum together with the wrong combination piston. ( no check ball in the drum or piston) it would start to burn the high clutches within 3-5 mi. street driving it. Just throwing it out there!
I just reread your orig. post and you say the TB works. Just out of curiosity when you set the brake does it set right away? Or does it move a little before it sets? The one I found the wrong combination in would not set the brake fast...It would roll forward about 2-3" then apply.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just reread your orig. post and you say the TB works. Just out of curiosity when you set the brake does it set right away? Or does it move a little before it sets? The one I found the wrong combination in would not set the brake fast...It would roll forward about 2-3" then apply.
sets fast...pulled it apart today and it already started blackening one side of the 3rd gear clutches..the other clutches still look new.its like it had no pressure to engauge 3rd gear.

i had another complete 400 with a shift kit that works great...going to use that case and valvebody with my 2.10 stuff to see what happens..i dont have to have a transbrake in this car..

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fluid still looks good..but only has 2 miles at most on it...

tell me more about the check ball in the drum/piston so i can check this.maybe this is the problem...

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you read what I wrote about the shifter? Its not the ball in the drum or the transbrake wouldn't work.

Hutch
checked the shifter many times...i hoped that was it...in every gear it slips in and out of the lever,cable has no slack and its not in a bind...the guy i bought the trans from had the same problem,he couldnt get 3rd gear to live..we pulled it apart and founf the pump was wore out and thought that was it...but it wasnt and now it still does the exact same thing....

will the stock valvebody run as fast as a manual valvebody?didnt know if the pressures are different between the 2...and i am changing cases in case it has an internal crack.

its still apart at the moment.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and i appreciate the help guys.trans problems can be hard to figure out.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was it rebuilt and this just started?

2 post up i said the guy i bought it from had the same problem..we rebuilt it with a new pump and it still does it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was just saying if its a new problem since a rebuild, check the valvebody gaskets, a friend just had a similar problem and ended up it had the wrong ones.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think we found the problem...didnt have a plug in the case thats under the valvebody..and after reading in a trans book it says the case must have a plug in it for 3rd gear...did an air test and when you put air to 3rd it all dumped out the case and clutches would not even move..put his finger over the hole that the book says to plug and hit the air and the clutches applied immediatly..

i am not trans guy just trying to relay what he told me....he is sticking it all back together in the original case and transbrake.

what do yall think?

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
not sure what brand it is..never put a guage on it..why does the book say to plug it?i sure dont want to assemble it and it not work again...

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Remove valve body, separator plate, and gaskets. Discard all check balls. Remove rear servo assembly. Remove and discard oil-sealing rings from accumulator piston and discard stock accumulator spring. Install new accumulator spring furnished in kit and replace servo assembly and cover. For installations in late model cases that are equipped with a factory installed restriction in the Reverse Servo Piston apply hole, remove and discard the restrictor. The restrictor resembles a freeze plug installed in the apply hole.

he said that what needed to go in looked like a small freeze plug.....i copy and pasted this from the coan directions for a transbrake..wished i knew more about these

maybe i am saying what he doing in a way that makes no sense..

1 - 20 of 84 Posts