Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Remove the cable on the transmission end. There is a little hook sticking out. Take a piece of 1/4 or 3/8" fuel hose and a little permatex and jam it in the hole around the hook. Take a bolt and stick it in the other end of the hose and put a hose clamp around it. Zip tie to something so it doesn't move. I had it this way for 3 years and it didn't leak a drop. I did it while trans was in the vehicle.

The "right way" is to pull the pan and remove the linkage/hook from the inside. Then tap one of the little freeze plug in the hole from the outside. My trans guy did this after I burnt it up and went to him for rebuild.

The quick way is just to unhook it from the carburetor, loop it, and shove it down the trans tunnel :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Damn thing is already in the car. but yeah who wants to be that goon
I have oiled down the track many times but never from the kickdown hole. Lots of torched pistons. I had a pinched o-ring once on the accumulator and every 1-2 shift it would squirt trans fluid out the side. I resealed the pan a ton of times thinking that's where it would come from. Lol

Try removing the trans crossmember and slowly lowering the tailshaft. That's what I did. A mirror helps too.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
if you have an old cable you can cut the housing about 2 inches up and seal it with RTV. there is no pressure there unless your vent is not working

·
Satans Daddy
14,678 Posts
Welch plug is fine if properly fitted, they work fine in your block with pressures exceeding 16psi if you have a high pressure cap, besides, you should have a vent going to a puke tank that prevents any case pressure.
Tap and pipe plug. I don't want to be the guy that oils the track.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
think i will buy a cheap cable for now and cut it. I will have it back out this winter and will do it right.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Or turn up a little plug with an o ring groove and then use a plate on the original fitting to secure it. If you ever want to reuse the KD cable, remove it and the jobs a good one. I also converted this to a side fill so I didn't have a fill tube on my fire wall.
G

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Amazed that after 35 years puttering with race trans applications there are still folks who spend time with this pos. Amazing I tell you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts