Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to put my 400 back together and can't seem to get the right, (or any for that matter), end play out back.
When I took it apart I found it had both a .060" 4 tanged thrust washer AND a .140" torrington. Do I need both? I can shim out the excess if I eliminate the bronze washer. Has anybody run into this before?
This trans has definatly seen some heat in the back, every thing is blue.

·
Super Moderator
19,379 Posts
There is not enough room for the 4 tang washer and a torrington between the output shaft and the case. You may get the torrington and a .020" shim but thats about it.
Where are you seeing blue? Does it look like its burnt blue or is it just the induction heat treating from the factory, that may be normal.

Talk to you later ,Hutch

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hutch said:
There is not enough room for the 4 tang washer and a torrington between the output shaft and the case. You may get the torrington and a .020" shim but thats about it.
Where are you seeing blue? Does it look like its burnt blue or is it just the induction heat treating from the factory, that may be normal.

Talk to you later ,Hutch
the whole shell that has the parking pawl lugs and I found some gawling on the plate on the front side of the rear thrust area. I went ahead and replaced the whole planetary section from another trans, shimmed .010 with the torrington for a total rear end play of .016"

Could this kind problem be part of a problem I was having with the Car not MPH like it should have in the 1/4? I know I had exsessive converter slip. I'm thinking internal friction made it even worse

·
Super Moderator
19,379 Posts
It may have had something to do with it. I really don't know how the trans could have gone together the way you described. Installing the center support snap ring would have been a trick.
Sounds like you have it all taken care of.

Take care ,Hutch

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hutch said:
It may have had something to do with it. I really don't know how the trans could have gone together the way you described. Installing the center support snap ring would have been a trick.

Take care ,Hutch
I'm still finding skin from knuckles in the case from trying to get that bevelled POS out of the case!! I also had to change the center support and case bolt. The threads were just about cleaned off.
Thanks again Hutch.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Rod Lenz said:
Hutch said:

Take care ,Hutch
I'm still finding skin from knuckles in the case from trying to get that bevelled POS out of the case!! I also had to change the center support and case bolt. The threads were just about cleaned off.
Thanks again Hutch.
Do you have inspection licence ?

Can you start work tomorrow ?

Bring your tool box phuck face !

What are ya benchin ?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, I tried to call you Monday, Tuff Guy........I got the wife yammerin' on one side a me, I got mexicans slappin' each udder in the ass with tar mops on the roof, I got 20 people stuck in the phuckin' man lift screamin' and pukin' cause the phuckin' ting is extended 60' and I can't get em' down...................I'm havin' a bad day Mac, I got problems down here, Paul......

Seriously, I tried to call you Monday, I was lookin' for answers on this deal. I know it ran with both thrust washers back there 'cause I'm dumb ass that put 'em in there!!
No more drinkin' and assembling transmissions.
I have to do these things my self on account I can't afford to have pro's like you and Hutch, I'm a broke dick motherphucker...........I'm silly like that

Talk to me later, nitz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts