Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a th 400 built by my friend & he got all aftermarket performance parts including a pump which has been modified by a guy but woudn't tell me who. Any way , from what i can gather the gears have been drilled apparently to balance out pressure or something. Does anyone know anything or anyone that does this stuff. I'm sorry I cant tell you anymore as I don't know enough myself, thanks.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I know John Kilgore drills the gears on his pumps. He explained to me why once but I don't remember exactly what it was for. Something to do with evening out the pressure on both sides of the gears to help stop them from wearing into the cover.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Na, no problem Hutch , just trying to understand why it was done. Does it have any effect on lowering oil pressure perhaps through leaking around the gears? Is the strength of the gears compromised at all? Why dont other people do this mod?

·
Registered
211 Posts
What does Th400 pump gear wear even look like. All me TH400 pump gear cores have shown excellent wear patterns.

Is the wear unique to running without a vacuum Modulator?

·
Super Moderator
19,478 Posts
Na, no problem Hutch , just trying to understand why it was done. Does it have any effect on lowering oil pressure perhaps through leaking around the gears? Is the strength of the gears compromised at all? Why dont other people do this mod?

John is a little "out there". Give it 10 to 20 years and it will be revisited as a "new invention". Maybe even phrased as a "revolution" but John won't get any credit for it.
Some of the stuff he has made many years ago has become some of the best kept secrets in the industry and have made a lot of people a lot of money except him. Just enjoy the part , it works well.

Hutch

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Guys like Kilgore and Griner were years ahead of everyone else's technology. Then others did some R&D (ripoff and duplicate) and caught up.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Griner is still ahead of most as far as VB's go in my opinion.

There are definitely some things to take note of with his TH400 VB design and try to use if you are designing an iron brake or in my case a 4L80E transbrake.

There are a couple of reasons his VB will let clutches live in a big power (1500+) TH400 much longer than most of his competitors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts