Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My th 400 is pucking some oil at the end of the 1/4 shouls i install an overflow can or should i go down on the oil level ?

·
Registered
217 Posts
In most cases this maybe caused by the G-Force of the slow down at the end, throwing the fluid forward and out the vent. What I usually do is remove the stock vent tube, drill and tap to 1/8" pipe thread, screw in a 1/8" X 3/16" hose adapter, the run a hose to a puke can. Of course you wouldn't want to do this unless the case is gutted so try running about a 3/16" hose to a puke can but make sure the can is vent or pressure will build up inside the trans and may blow seals or out the dip stick tube. Also check to see if it maybe a problem with a fluid over fill problem. Good luck & keep us posted. Burt

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the video it shows smoke on the power at the end of the track after a coupls of passes there was less smoke the level was slowly going down
i was running it at the full mark trans hot in park

·
Registered
217 Posts
On the video it shows smoke on the power at the end of the track after a coupls of passes there was less smoke the level was slowly going down
i was running it at the full mark trans hot in park
It's rare but I had it happen once. I had a 400 that did the same thing, it was probably due to a internal leak in the pump, possibly being warp. It would cover the fire wall and fill the puke can. What I ended up doing to cure it without pulling the trans was plug the vent on the case, then putting the vent on the tailshaft housing at the very top and vented it to the puck can, problem solved. Remember, this is no big deal, some Ford C-4s have this set up also. Burt

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will install one for sure
I will try to see if i could find a small one
As for the trans oil level where i should keep it on the stick ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts