Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatsup guys. I need a th-400 for my personal car. Needs to be able to leave off the brake in 1st and 2nd gear. I have talked to Hutch about getting a valvebody from Griner, but it seems that Griner doesnt have the stock to supply.

My basic question is I need the trans to handle a max of 1800-2000 hp in a 3200lb car. 60 foot times will probably be in the 1.15-1.2 range to give an idea on the acceleration. Would love to have Hutch or Lonnie do one for me but I know these guys are really busy and probably wont be able to do one before august.

Can anyone tell me the parts I will need to get these unit done. Sprag or Spragless?, Aluminum drum or steel drum? Which input shaft 300m, vasco,?... I have budgeted about 3k for it but if I need more I'm ok with it. If someone can tell me the parts to buy I will buy the parts from them or any advice you have an assembly. Im pretty good at machining so I will be able to assemble the transmission. Not looking to save a buck, just looking fro some good information and the right parts and will pay for the info. Thanks again to all that can help.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
An iron 36 element sprag and drum,300m input ,billet mainshaft and clutch hub installed in a properly prepped trans will get it done.Where in Bklyn. are you?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An iron 36 element sprag and drum,300m input ,billet mainshaft and clutch hub installed in a properly prepped trans will get it done.Where in Bklyn. are you?
Bay Ridge. If this is the Chris I think it is, I think you have a customer who is a very good friend of mine. Sprio, Red Chevelle, BBC with a blower. I do his engine work.

Thank you for the parts list. Can I purchase from you?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Yes Spiro and I have known each other for a long time.I did the trans about 8 years ago in the Chevelle.Give me a ring and I can get you what you need.He is running all of the parts I recommended in his car.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Spiro and I have known each other for a long time.I did the trans about 8 years ago in the Chevelle.Give me a ring and I can get you what you need.He is running all of the parts I recommended in his car.
Will do Chris. Thank you. What is the number?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Bay ridge,I used to run the rr (double r) from astoria to Bay Ridge as a kid all the time to my Uncles house on 95th street.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bay ridge,I used to run the rr (double r) from astoria to Bay Ridge as a kid all the time to my Uncles house on 95th street.
Im right of the bqe on 86th. Besides running the shop I actually just got a night job at an aerospace company close to astoria. Im over in corona on 97th and 51st.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Im right of the bqe on 86th. Besides running the shop I actually just got a night job at an aerospace company close to astoria. Im over in corona on 97th and 51st.
Isnt there a Sunoco on that corner?What is the name of the place in Corona?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think its a Gulf now. Ellanef manufacturing is the company, its a division of Magellan Aerospace.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Why do you say an IRON drum..

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
We are in the process of doing it,too many street strip cars out there.Aluminum is not for them.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Im having a th400 built now for about 1600 hp .Race car not steet driven. Big vasco input in billet aluminum forward drum with steel billet hub,billet aluminum direct drum with 36 element sprag,bushed center support,210 gearset, griner vb,SFI bell,and deep pan.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im having a th400 built now for about 1600 hp .Race car not steet driven. Big vasco input in billet aluminum forward drum with steel billet hub,billet aluminum direct drum with 36 element sprag,bushed center support,210 gearset, griner vb,SFI bell,and deep pan.
Basically same setup I need. What did it cost.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Bought the trans off yb for $3000 ordered the forward drum ($524) and shopped around for a reputable builder in my area NC./SC. Im sure I'll have over 4 in it when I pick it up. I'd definitely consider the aluminum direct drum for safety with your build those drums can do some damage when they let go. Any builders want to comment on our builds to help out?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts