Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of rebuilding our TH-400. damaged the sprag and drum last weekend. Found the issue for that failure.

We found that the 3rd gear clutches showed signs of slight slip.

We have currently a line pressure of 175psi. Is that appropriate or should we bring it up higher? If so, what pressure should we aim for?

Car is 3480lbs with a sbc on nitrous making around 950hp with a 4000 stall converter. We are running a trans-brake valve body.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts
There are many variables as to how you set the line pressure based on what has been done in the intermediate clutch area. Its common to run these transmissions in the 180-220 psi max.

Hutch

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks. I will verify with my transmission guy to see what was done to the intermediate clutcha area. I will get back to you guys.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I talked to my transmisison guy. He says that not much was done to the intermediate clutch area. I run the Red Alto Power Pack (4 instead of 3), everything else is stock for the intermediate.

Knowing this, what pressure would you recommend? He recommends from 175 to 185psi in 1st and 2nd, dow that sound right?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more quick question. We used to run Type F transmission fluid. We are going to go to 50/50 John Deere Hy-Guard Standard viscosity and Type F. Will this bring the pressure up since it is thicker? If yes, would it bring our previous 175psi close to the 185psi that we want to run?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts