Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building stock suspension/drag radial 69 nova. Weight will be between 3200 and 3400 w/driver. HP somewhere between 1000 and 1200 (pump gas BBC plus one kit). Gear is 3.60. Car will be very limited street as in no more than 10 to 20 miles at a time. Would it be worth it to change trans. first gear to a 2.10 or would the stock gear be ok? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reason I ask is a freind of mine has a similar setup in a nova and he says the 1-2 shift comes very fast. I may just leave it alone. I would hate to spend a load on money and it not do any better. Car is under currently under construction. As of now so I am just getting some ideas. I really have no idea if I will leave on the kit or just let it come on once I leave. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Reason I ask is a freind of mine has a similar setup in a nova and he says the 1-2 shift comes very fast. I may just leave it alone. I would hate to spend a load on money and it not do any better. Car is under currently under construction. As of now so I am just getting some ideas. I really have no idea if I will leave on the kit or just let it come on once I leave. Thanks again for the replies.

It does come fast, but I bet your car will 60 better than his if your combos are very similar ;)

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
If you have a 30 inch tall rear tire and the 3.60 rear gear its not going to be that fast 1-2 its just a power glide will be real slow to shift 1-2

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff not saying your wrong. My buddy had the same setup (3.60 gear) with a 29.5 tall tire however its a slick and that may be where the difference is. When is it more benificial to have a 2.10 first gear as opposed to the stock geat set?

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Jeff not saying your wrong. My buddy had the same setup (3.60 gear) with a 29.5 tall tire however its a slick and that may be where the difference is. When is it more benificial to have a 2.10 first gear as opposed to the stock geat set?
This is a different question. I feel a 2.10 is better in a lot of cases but not to slow down a shift alone. I mean a Five speed with a 6.50 rear gear and a 3.25 low you even have to work a clutch... sometimes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts