Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started the car and backed it out of the shop in reverse which worked perfectly. However when I tried to drive forward in first gear, it felt like I was stomping on the brakes! Lol
I then shut the car off and tried to push it back into the shop, it would push backwards but the car would not push forward when in neutral ...

When I installed the reverse servo piston and put the cover over it the cover would not sit flush against the case. I had to install the cover bolts and tighten them to draw The cover flat to the case. Does this mean I did not have the reverse band in the correct position? Or not fully seated?
The other thing I am not certain on is if I installed the Spragg or rollerized bearing that goes in the front planetary upside down? This has the sprag that the center support inner race drops inside it. Did I install it upside down???
Would this have caused the dragging in forward gears?
Reverse functions normally!

I have a new RESPECT for transmission builders, but my dad did not raise a quitter!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Usually on the band servo cover there's about 1/8" or so to get it flush with the case. If you are able to turn the output shaft both directions you should be good to go.

As far as the no forward better rip it out of the car and get a book. Sounds like something's bound up. It would be very difficult to install the low sprag in backwards unless you you had a very early front planetary.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled it out of the car last night and started disassembling, I have a feeling the reverse band slipped, or in all reality was not installed properly

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well We found that part of the reverse servo metal gasket was under the valve body causing cross bleed...
I also found one of the rollers in the sprag had came out... This could have happened during install or it could have been from the cross bleeding issue....
Hopefully we got it now

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update ...

That was it, the tang on the rev. servo gasket was under the valve body,causing cross bleed...

Trans drives perfect now!

My 1st build is now under my belt!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome job! Wish me luck on my first. ;)
I recommend getting a DVD, I watched Paul Zanks Th400 video as I was rebuilding it,
Then I hit pause 1 million times as I would mimic his steps In the video...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No it doesn't, that DVD was filmed in 1995, there may be better ones out there now...

But just watching him rebuild the stock unit helped me a lot, you know what they say a picture is worth 1000 words ..

Jake posted a great picture on a thread here that shows how to drill the 1/16 inch hole in the high drum For trans brake applications

The other critical mod for LSX engines is the oil pump restrictor, CK performance has a great write up with pictures on how to do this with a simple brass 5/16 inch socket set screw

Just google TAH 400 converter oil feed Reese stricter

I would very highly recommend BTE for your high drum and billet shafts ...

Hughes performance also has a very good high performance rebuild kit I would definitely call those boys, summit sells the kit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts