Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering if anybody has any idea on how this could have happened. I did not feel any bad vibration while driving. I was going around a 100 mph when I went to hit 3rd gear and than BOOM! I was very very very lucky it did not catch on fire and the drive shaft stayed on. My engine only makes 481 HP and 440 TQ. The tranny was stock. Im just kinda nervous about putting another stock tranny in. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My very first thought is driveshaft length too close and bottomed out. Had a fried with not enough drive shaft end play do a similar but not so much damage because of it.
jmo
good luck

·
Super Moderator
19,349 Posts
The trans was shaken to death. It apears as thoug the converter bolts came loose at one time and what condition is the driveshaft in? Did it break a U joint at 100mph? What gear is in the rear? How many rpm's is it turning at 100mph?

Hutch

·
Registered
287 Posts
Looks like an S10... How long was the driveshaft? Critical speed of the shaft is, um, critical. Critical speed decreases with length and also fatigue or service life.

I've "fixed" a couple of failures like this for friends, it almost always boils down to driveshaft balance, length (critical speed), or shaft angles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trans was shaken to death. It apears as thoug the converter bolts came loose at one time and what condition is the driveshaft in? Did it break a U joint at 100mph? What gear is in the rear? How many rpm's is it turning at 100mph?

Hutch
The converter bolts were still tight. The drive shaft now has a bend in it and it did break the U joint going to the trans. The rear end is an 8.8 out of an explorer, it has 3.73 gears. I believe my rpm's were right about 6000 when I went to shift but everything is kind of a blur around that time from the adrenaline rush I got from when it happened. Thanks again!

Looks like an S10... How long was the driveshaft? Critical speed of the shaft is, um, critical. Critical speed decreases with length and also fatigue or service life.

I've "fixed" a couple of failures like this for friends, it almost always boils down to driveshaft balance, length (critical speed), or shaft angles.
Yes it is an S10, 1985. I did the explorer 8.8 rear end swap this winter to the truck and from what I got I could use the same drive shaft length as before and that was just a stock length drive shaft. I never did check to make sure the length was good, I guess I just assumed it was. Thats my fault. What should my drive shaft angle be? Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts