Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tex Mex - Cornmeal Hatch Pepper Pizza

Fresh Hatch Pepper season is heading up so I thought I take advantage of it before it's over.

This is a bit of a challenge to make as there are quite a few steps: Crust, Sauce, Toppings and baking sequence. However, very worth it and something you could surprise friends with a very unique taste that is honestly delicious.

Crust

Ingredients: (for 1 large Pizza)

2 packets Active Dry Yeast
3/4th cup warm water (85-90 degrees)
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1-1/2 cups all purpose Flour1/2 cup Yellow Corn Meal
Pinch of Sea Salt
A few twists of fresh ground Black Pepper
Sprinkle of powered Garlic

Directions:

Add Yeast to warm water and proof letting it sit until it foams. (3-5 minutes) Add all other ingredients into a large mixing bowl. When Yeast foams, add to bowl, mix, and knead on dusted surface for 5-10 minutes.

After kneading, place dough ball into an oiled bowl to rise. Place damp towel on top and place in a warm, draft free place. (unused microwave) for about 1 hour to rise.

While the dough is rising make the sauce.

Sauce:

Ingredients:

2 ounces of Olive Oil for sautéing
2 ounces additional Olive Oil for after veggies are sautéed.
Small handful of Cilantro
1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
Shake of Garlic Powder
Handful of fine chopped Red Onion
2 Egg Yolks
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
Pinch of Sea Salt
Couple grinds of Pepper
Directions:

Add 2 ounces of Olive Oil to Sautee pan and add all ingredients except Egg Yolks and Cheese.

Sauté until the veggies are opaque (about 5 minutes) and remove from heat. Let sit to finish cooking and cool. Add to a small mixing bowel along with the 2 extra ounces of Olive Oil, Cheese and Egg Yolks. Whisk to make a sauce.

Set aside and turn your oven on to 500 degrees.

After dough has allowed to rise remove from bowl and place on a dusted surface to roll out. Don't worry about being perfectly round or square, a unique shape add a little to the dish.

Place on baking pan and put into over for 3-5 minutes (or until you see a crust just starting to form) If you don't do this the crust can be a little soggy. Remove from oven and set aside.

Topping

Ingredients:

1/2 lb course sliced Mushrooms
2 tablespoon Olive Oil (for sautéing)
Handful of fine sliced Red Onion
4-6 oz fine chopped Ham
Light sprinkle of Garlic Powder
2 mild roasted Hatch Pepper or a 4oz can of Hatch Peppers (buy from Wal-Mart)
Sliced Grape Tomatoes (the amount is your preference - about 8 oz)
8 oz of either Mexican Cheese or Mozzarella
1 cup of fresh grated Parmesan Cheese.

Directions:

Slice and sauté Mushrooms and set aside.

Spread sauce over pizza dough, add Hatch Peppers, then top with Mexican or Mozzarella Cheese.

Arrange the other toppings

Sprinkle with the Parmesan Cheese.

Bake 12- 15 minutes or until the crust color is too your likening.

Enjoy!

So you think you can cook? Better turn the music up as there is a lot of dancing to make this dish, but worth it.

Denny

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks awesome!
Well, thank you! But I just wish I was a little more awesome. Remember the things I post are out of Denny's noodle, and not Google. I forgot to add 1 large finely chopped Tomatillo goes into the sauce. Hey, second mistake I've ever made in my life.

Denny

·
Mother Hen
51,760 Posts
Well, thank you! But I just wish I was a little more awesome. Remember the things I post are out of Denny's noodle, and not Google. I forgot to add 1 large finely chopped Tomatillo goes into the sauce. Hey, second mistake I've ever made in my life.

Denny
Big deal. I wasn't like I was going to try it in the next fifteen minutes. lol

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Looks good, but as I suck at any bread making I would have to try it with a ready made crust. Our local pizza joint does sell just skins.

We do have good chilis down here, but I miss Amarillo. It was close enough to NM that we had even more fresh peppers.

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good, but as I suck at any bread making I would have to try it with a ready made crust. Our local pizza joint does sell just skins.

We do have good chilis down here, but I miss Amarillo. It was close enough to NM that we had even more fresh peppers.
Baking is a real science and I suck at it also. The pastry chef at my buds restaurant also teaches at a local college, been thinking about taking a couple of classes from her. Truthfully, this is not a difficult crust to make but I pucker every time as I don't do it enough to keep the touch. Basically it's just warm water, a little sugar, and a couple of packs of yeast that ya got from the grocery store. Just let it sit for about five minutes. Flour, corn meal, a little salt, olive oil and mix everything together. Put it on a board with some flour on it and fold it for about five minutes to get it even. Let it sit for an hour and then roll it out. Really isn't all that hard but like you, I have this mind set that puts the fear of god in me and I hate to do it. Messy also. I will say though, really different and really good but a shitpot full of work.

Denny

·
Registered
14,630 Posts
Isn't pizza supposed to be round or rectcaular....? :p

Looks delicious Denny

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Damn that looks good!

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts

I stink at baking also, but a pizza crust is pretty easy. Give it a try.

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Denny was trying to make the crust into the shape of Texas...lol

FAIL! :p

Wish me luck on that, still working on drawing stickmen. Just happy as hell it came out and I have no intention of pushing my luck. Spinning it and throwing it into the air looks cool, afraid I'm not very cool.

Denny

1 - 14 of 14 Posts