Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never did get this thing to work with a 3G alternator. Key on power to positive, grounded to chassis, field wire to the I location on dummy regulator. Alternator never did anything when adjusting dial. I hooked original regulator back up alternator works. How do i check this thing or wire so i can use the transpo.
Thanks

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Check to see if you have voltage on the field wire. Also make sure the dummy 3G regulator plate is gorunded, if both brushes are insulated, you will need to hoo ka ground to one.

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check to see if you have voltage on the field wire. Also make sure the dummy 3G regulator plate is gorunded, if both brushes are insulated, you will need to hoo ka ground to one.
With the dummy bolted to housing wouldn't this be grounded? The alternator casing is grounded to block with 1/0 guage. When i first hooked up the dummy i used a volt meter to check continuity with casing. I hooked field wire to other brush that was not grounded with casing. I'm going out to see if field has power
Thankyou

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also i have a brand new XS 16 volt battery that lost alot charge. Couldn't get the regulator to work but ran the car for 15 minutes and the lap top maybe an hour. Two months later the battery wouldn't crank the car! It was disconnected and still had 15 volts but on my hand held load tester its pretty weak. It's the big lead acid new design they have. Probably just needs charged but found it strange.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
With the dummy bolted to housing wouldn't this be grounded? The alternator casing is grounded to block with 1/0 guage. When i first hooked up the dummy i used a volt meter to check continuity with casing. I hooked field wire to other brush that was not grounded with casing. I'm going out to see if field has power
Thankyou
Sounds like you have it right. Check the field has voltage when power to the regulator, if it does, there is issue with the alternator most likely, if it doesnt, then likely the regulator.

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ray! I found problem field was not connected to the terminal that connects to brush. Other brush was grounded to plate. I figured out what you were saying. I don't have a 16V charger but hooked up an old sears 12V charger to battery LOL. Battery boosted to 15.8 volts and fired off now the alternator keeps it charged. When that battery hits 14.5 volts it won't crank the starter. Battery has 17 new. Anyways it all works thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts