Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tested all my cylinders today and all are anywhere from 160 to 170 except #8 it is at 120. do you think it will be ok for 1 day of racing , i am trying to run the 275 drag radial class in md on sunday. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Low Cylinder

Put plugs in that fogger, I use a reg fogger jet and use solider to fill it. In short you are making it easier on your weak cylinder hope this helps and should by you some time.

·
Registered
918 Posts
i tested all my cylinders today and all are anywhere from 160 to 170 except #8 it is at 120. do you think it will be ok for 1 day of racing , i am trying to run the 275 drag radial class in md on sunday. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you were doing a compression test. If you are sometimes a comp. test is sometimes inconclusive. You should consider doing a leakdown test. Then you can at least tell where your problem is and how bad it is.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Put plugs in that fogger, I use a reg fogger jet and use solider to fill it. In short you are making it easier on your weak cylinder hope this helps and should by you some time.
Kind of like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound:smt071:smt100

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
This may be a dumb question but if you plug nitrous & fuel from one cylinder would that effect the balance of the motor when the kit is on under high rpm??:confused:
Yes, very much so.. With that cyl dragging its feet, the rest of them are working harder, and it's likely you'll hurt another one... Been to this barbeque...
Dawg

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
I vote to go for it !! ;) I've seen the valve lash being off make cranking compression be 10-15 pounds off..

I would just put blank jets in if you have some or know someone who does, or you could drop the tune up in that cylinder a few numbers so it doesn't have to work as hard as normal to keep up with the others.. You may be surprised to see it doesn't slow down much overall ??

Did you hurt a plug on your last run ?? If so have you ran it much since ?? I have seen after nipping a plug and having the compression be down a little, after making a few more runs the compression may come back a bit as the debris burns and or goes on out the exhaust...

It sounds like it's going to need to come apart anyway, do the best you can !! ;) SJ

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
10-15 is one thing. That motor is hurt @ 40-50 down. We'll tear 'em down if there is more than 10% on comp & leak.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys for all your suggestions, i just came back from vmp on a couple of test passes and left the same tune up in it. ran the same numbers it did before i did the test. test on number 8 again tonight after the passes and still at 120 but still no oil on the plug and still doesnt smoke, just a little bit of smoke out the breather for the vacume pump. looks like i am heading to maryland in the morning and take my chances. this is going to be the last race for me for the season anyway. then i will be pulling motor out to freshin it up. thanks again for all your help.

·
Grandpa
6,479 Posts
thanks guys for all your suggestions, i just came back from vmp on a couple of test passes and left the same tune up in it. ran the same numbers it did before i did the test. test on number 8 again tonight after the passes and still at 120 but still no oil on the plug and still doesnt smoke, just a little bit of smoke out the breather for the vacume pump. looks like i am heading to maryland in the morning and take my chances. this is going to be the last race for me for the season anyway. then i will be pulling motor out to freshin it up. thanks again for all your help.

not to hijack, but what causes the smoke out the vacuum pump breather? I have seen that on a few cars running in the pits.

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
My car runs the same when its down on compression from the rings starting to go away.

Smoke from the breather tank can be from moisture or from some blow by.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
So that cylinder would not see that much,if any nitrous but the others will?
yeah thats the idea ,he said he wanted to basically make it to this race without repairing it. wounded cylinder will go alot sooner if its being sprayed on. people have done this for along time to try to go rounds on damaged stuff

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I vote to go for it !! ;) I've seen the valve lash being off make cranking compression be 10-15 pounds off..

I would just put blank jets in if you have some or know someone who does, or you could drop the tune up in that cylinder a few numbers so it doesn't have to work as hard as normal to keep up with the others.. You may be surprised to see it doesn't slow down much overall ??

Did you hurt a plug on your last run ?? If so have you ran it much since ?? I have seen after nipping a plug and having the compression be down a little, after making a few more runs the compression may come back a bit as the debris burns and or goes on out the exhaust...

It sounds like it's going to need to come apart anyway, do the best you can !! ;) SJ
i agree with this,,,ive been down compression in one hole before,,,,ran it hard and the compression was back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts