Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Santa delivered this to me a week late ... Kind of like my own Star Trek replicator

I'm sure at some point I'll make something practical with it, but for now I'm doing test prints of a manifold lid at 1/2 scale. It can print ABS material which means I could actually print a functional manifold in the future ... for testing purposes.... who knows
(print table can handle 14.9" x 11.8" x 8.8" )
Testing 1, 2, 3 ...

at 1/2 scale it's about 9.5" long and 4" wide

The stock settings take this top 11 hrs to print. After changing some settings the print time was reduced to 8 hrs. Made another change and it can now print in 6 hrs and looks great. It will take 26 hours to print the manifold base at 1/2 scale. I'll print the base when my batch of filament shows up.

· A Senior Member
5,059 Posts
Are you building a R/C boat now? :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though that's pretty cool.(y)

Reactions: 600" BBF

· Registered
4,787 Posts
Printing a Hamburger press right now. Have an Ender 3 Pro.
Haven't written any GCODE in 15years. Need to refresh my coding skills!
Damn things are a lot of fun to make stuff.
Used to do pieces for show and tell, pass it around in meetings with the Execs. to get my ideas across.
Great tools!

· Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
BTW, like your cool coffee cup holder!:cool:
a friend printed that for me a year and half back at 3/8th scale. I'll print it at 1/2 scale this weekend if not before. I'll check the print quality of ABS vs PETG filament

With the ABS filament I'll be able to print this full scale in a couple/few parts and then epoxy it together. ... We'll see how that works out ;)

I don't know Jack about coding, but I think I see some Youtube lessons in Soildworks in my future. ... soon. I'm sure there will be some fun stuff I can design and I best learn to do it, otherwise it could cost me a small fortune to pay a couple guys I know to do it.

· Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have they made a filament that can take the heat and punishment for a dyno test?
That would be ABS. This printer has a heated chamber and is designed to be able to print in ABS. The alternative to ABS is PETG. It's my understanding that it can handle the heat/chemical exposure to get dyno testing done. I've been told it's a good idea to coat either of them with something to protect them from the oil and fuel.

· Registered
540" BBC Alum. BMP Merlin X, F-1R Procharger, 12-rib [email protected], 11psi, AFR 357 heads, E-85 '86 Camaro
59 Posts
I like ABS for multi part builds because you can solvent weld easily with acetone. Nylon is a little harder to print with but can probably be done with that printer and I believe is more fuel resistant than ABS. Then Nylon with fiberglass has good heat deflection ratings; I'm using it for an intake box (throttle body to carb intake adapter) and it is holding up well, details here if you are interested (
)

· Registered
540" BBC Alum. BMP Merlin X, F-1R Procharger, 12-rib [email protected], 11psi, AFR 357 heads, E-85 '86 Camaro
59 Posts
Just noticed the brand on your ABS, I buy the same 4 or 8 at a time. Some settings to try, 230 nozzle. 87 bed, 40mm/s perimeters, 75% slower for external perimeters, 50mm/s infill. I use these for .2 and .4 layer heights on a .8 nozzle. (Definitely get a .8 nozzle but you can use these settings with a .4). I print on glass with random hairspray for adhesion; works well for all but the longest/thinnest parts.

· Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just noticed the brand on your ABS, I buy the same 4 or 8 at a time. Some settings to try, 230 nozzle. 87 bed, 40mm/s perimeters, 75% slower for external perimeters, 50mm/s infill. I use these for .2 and .4 layer heights on a .8 nozzle. (Definitely get a .8 nozzle but you can use these settings with a .4). I print on glass with random hairspray for adhesion; works well for all but the longest/thinnest parts.
Thank you much for the information, and I do need to get both an 6 and 8 nozzle.

So far so good on the third go around today. It's about 90% done and I'm not sure if I'll be up for it to finish. It's 11:20 pm now.
What are you doing about cooling when printing ABS?

I'll check into the nylon... Thanks.

· Registered
59 Posts
What are you doing about cooling when printing ABS?
For cooling at the nozzle I use the 'auto' settings in Prusa slicer which is basically no cooling except bridges, which I typically avoid. I print ABS with the printer enclosed on 3 sides and the top and without any control of the enclosure temperature.

· Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I like ABS for multi part builds because you can solvent weld easily with acetone. Nylon is a little harder to print with but can probably be done with that printer and I believe is more fuel resistant than ABS.
Just read that a few days ago, and it sounds like it maybe a better option than epoxy.

I'm currently printing the ABS at 220 and the build plate at 100. I have the print speed (last print and what's printing now) at 67mm/s. I do have a .06 nozzle on order and I'll look into getting an 8.

After an adhesion issue (see below) I went and picked up a glue stick. I cycled the plate to 110c and put a heat gun on it for a few passes. I let is cool and then started the next print. That and the new settings seemed to work well on the test lid.

Thanks for the information you've shared with me.

· Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
C'mon, you've had enough time now to at least show us something new. :p
Saturday morning just so much fun ....
So when I walked into the shop Saturday morning I see this - The last I had my eyes on it, at 55% completed at 10:30 pm Friday night it was looking great. Somewhere around 85-90% completed something went haywire ... IN A BIG WAY:

After cleaning up that mess with the first print with PETG filament I decided to switch to the ABS since that's what I actually purchased this machine to print.

Next test with ABS It was printing fine and at 33% I decided to take a look before I was going to walk away for an hour or two and I see this:

Son of a bitch:

Had I walked away a few minutes early that would have turned into a hell of a mess.

After reading some tips on the internet I made some adjustments and started over ..
Walked in the shop this morning and was greeted with this:

Now that I have a perfectly printed top .... I need something to bolt it to .........

Should be completed early tomorrow evening ...
5%

10%

Fingers crossed that all goes well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts