Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
FHRITP
50,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Only pump in town, coming up with 70%. Really wanting to switch from Q fuel. Combo is abc 406 14:1 CR spinning 7500-8000 RPM. NA currently, but there is a plate kit in the near future. Carb builder says he can work with 70%, I won't lose anything with it but was a little questionable above 7500 RPM. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
To meet vapor pressure requirements for automotive fuels, E85 is typically E70 - this is from ICM in Kansas. If you have a station that sells E85 that is true E85, then it might be good thing for a racer that needs consistent fuel. My brother tried to go there several years ago and found this little tidbit out and didn't convert. OTOH, methanol is reasonably consistent...

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Tested one of the local stations around here ( there are numerous ) and clicking in right at 88%

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Found this on the SAE site:
<Technically, there is no such thing as E85 even though you might see the term used in the market place. At one time there was an ASTM standard for E85, which was an 85% blend of E100 and 15% blend of gasoline. However, it was found that the blend violated EPA volatility requirements during certain months of the year. Subsquently, ASTM issued a replacement specification identified as "ASTM D5798 Standard Specification for Ethanol Fuel Blends for Flexible-Fuel Automotive Spark-Ignition Engines" which has an ethanol content specification range of E51-E83%. Any other range would be a violation of EPA regulations (with the exception of E10 and E15). The specification is avialbe at ASTM.org>

Ignite is one of the few aftermarket retailers that cater to Ethanol products for racing.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It has been 92-94% down here lately . I have been cutting it back to 86-87% . I have never seen it lower than 70% . Are you sure your checking it correctly ? You don't have enough of water or E85 . It is not filled to the line.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Are you sure your checking it correctly ? You don't have enough of water or E85 . It is not filled to the line.
Ethanol will hold a certain amount of water,
If you take 50% water and add 50% E85 it will not read 100%.

as phase separation happens, some of the water bonds between the alcohol molecules and you will get a strange reading.

what we have found is the more the over all line drops the dryer the alcohol, this didn't move much so the Ethanol must have been holding some water in it.

when he filled the shaker tube im sure he filled it to the line, the new level shows how hydroscopic (wet) the fuel was.

the fuel in the tube is E70, the gas is in the middle and some type of additive is on the top.

Mark Sullens

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
So my question is it's E70 what is the other 30%.
What's your answer when it's E85 what do think the other 15% is.

It's just an increase in gas for easier cold climate starts.
The "other" is 87 octane pump gasoline. That's why it's important to test every time you purchase, and then adjust the tune up to fit the test results. The lower the % of ethanol, the bigger the % of 87 octane. And 87 octane doesn't do anything for performance or detonation protection in a race engine.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts