Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tech log 360 for all the info.
He needs it for his pos cyber truck.
Looks like it will be installed near Fremont.

·
Registered
845 Posts
An 8,000 ton closed die forging press is not that big. Certainly not the world’s largest. In the US, Alcoa operates a 50,000 ton press and there are many 20-30 ton across the land. Currently, Russia has a 75 ton and China is finishing up it’s 80,000 ton.

I searched the story on Tesla’s machine and the same claim of “world’s biggest 8,000 ton press”
came up. Perhaps it’s a typo that’s being reprinted.

The origins of these HUGE presses is in aviation during WWII Germany. Unfortunately, the Soviets got to it first, so in the proper American Way we then built our own.

Here’s a link to a quick overview of the history of these presses. These machines made a considerable impact on many industries.

·
Registered
716 Posts
An 8,000 ton closed die forging press is not that big. Certainly not the world’s largest. In the US, Alcoa operates a 50,000 ton press and there are many 20-30 ton across the land. Currently, Russia has a 75 ton and China is finishing up it’s 80,000 ton.

I searched the story on Tesla’s machine and the same claim of “world’s biggest 8,000 ton press”

The origins of these HUGE presses is in aviation during WWII Germany. Unfortunately, the Soviets got to it first, so in the proper American Way we then built our own.

Here’s a link to a quick overview of the history of these presses. These machines made a considerable impact on many industries.

Fascinating.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Those big machines and how they were made has always fasinated me. Awesome stuff. I didnt know Mesta was from the U.S., i thought they were Europian, German. What we used to do, now all sourced to china, sickening

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Well that was a neat rabbit hole! Was on that other page and it really shows how great and why America was so great. The “fuck yeah, we can do it” spirit has given the world so much, it’s too bad the cocksuckers on the left don’t understand that. I’m sure the great presses would of worked better with diversity hiring right? How could they build something so great without one gay, one woman, one black, one....

They just did it, fuck the bullshit, this has to get done.

Another reason to love the states. (And yes I’m Canadian)

·
Registered
3,461 Posts

8000 ton die casting press is huge in the same ball park as a injection molding press. I had no idea they even had die casting machines that big. We have a customer with a 6000 ton injection press it can make 2 full size roll to the curb trash carts 175 lb shot size

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
8000 ton die casting press is huge in the same ball park as a injection molding press. I had no idea they even had die casting machines that big. We have a customer with a 6000 ton injection press it can make 2 full size roll to the curb trash carts 175 lb shot size
⬆This.
It’s not a forging press it’s a die casting press.worlds biggest they say.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So wtf does an 8000 ton die casting press do that a 4000 ton won’t?
Bigger parts? Closer grain? Seems like if they are forcing molten material in a mold at that high of tonnage you would end up with nearly forging quality parts.

·
Registered
845 Posts
⬆This.
It’s not a forging press it’s a die casting press.worlds biggest they say.
You are correct. My error and yes 8,000 ton is the correct number. Thank you for making me educate myself between the two processes. Here’s a link with layman explanation of the difference.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are correct. My error and yes 8,000 ton is the correct number. Thank you for making me educate myself between the two processes. Here’s a link with layman explanation of the difference.

Ah thanks for posting. Interesting

·
Registered
845 Posts
Want more? Here’s a video from the early 1950’s of the USAF Heavy Press Program. This film shows the ingenuity needed to manufacture and then transport to site locations as well the machines in operation.
Impressive, if you’re into this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So wtf does an 8000 ton die casting press do that a 4000 ton won’t?
Bigger parts? Closer grain? Seems like if they are forcing molten material in a mold at that high of tonnage you would end up with nearly forging quality parts.
Bigger parts. Probably several sprues, lotsa vents and vacuum assist. One would assume the whole lower half of the chassis and battery tray are a single casting. The alloy they select would be interesting. I used to call out a 365 series that was heat treatable and another high zoot mag silicon alloy that is high strength without without heat treating. Water quench works wonders for freezing grain size.
Also, it’s gonna need a big furnace and melt pot to keep it fed. Then a real big xray machine to inspect for porosity, knit lines and other QA issues.

·
Aviation Section
26,017 Posts
Want more? Here’s a video from the early 1950’s of the USAF Heavy Press Program. This film shows the ingenuity needed to manufacture and then transport to site locations as well the machines in operation.
Impressive, if you’re into this kind of stuff.

Neat! Thanks for that! Having lived in Pittsburgh for a long time I have driven by Mesta Machine many times but had no idea of the importance of the place. Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts