Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I guess I didn’t say what I wanted. Yes payout is great, but you make it to final four something should be there$. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I guess I didn’t say what I wanted. Yes payout is great, but you make it to final four something should be there$. Sorry for the confusion.
that makes sense. There is plenty of money you just would like them to start paying a bit earlier.
as was mentioned, a lot of these type of top heavy payouts people get together say in the semis and agree to a split.
I would worry if the track did it all on their own, and say it paid 4500 to win and they took that money and started paying earlier, car count may suffer as the big payout does tend to attract people

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
We're in the wrong motor sport. When i go to the truck/ tractor pull circuit at local fairs, they pay 10 places. If 1st is $1000, 2nd is $900, 3rd is $800 down to 10th is $100. But they have 1000 plus spectators every time.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I owned a truck and tractor pull track for 5 years. They do draw draw bigger crowds. But even with the crowds it is still a hard go. I owned all equipment and land. Insurance,labor, up keep and pay out keep the bottom line very tight. I can't imagine the cost of a drag strip.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I owned a truck and tractor pull track for 5 years. They do draw draw bigger crowds. But even with the crowds it is still a hard go. I owned all equipment and land. Insurance,labor, up keep and pay out keep the bottom line very tight. I can't imagine the cost of a drag strip.
Keep in mind most of the local pulls we were involved with had at least 10 different classes.

·
Registered
13,593 Posts
Imagine owning a $50K street car and going to test and tune only. Actually, I can easily imagine that. I don't have a $50K car, but I don't expect to get any money for bracket racing it either. Any purse is just gravy, in my book. Take care. Tom Worthington

·
Registered
67 Posts
Imagine owning a $50K street car and going to test and tune only
We get lanes full of these every TnT. Shelby 350s, Hellcats, etc, etc. Doesn't seem to be a problem for the owners. We try to encourage them to come to a bracket race and run in Street - and we even pulled the ET limits off the Street class. A few do, most just want to come out, buy a $20 run card and run down the track.

I'd have to win like 20 Super Pro races to even come close to paying for what's in my dragster - not the point. I go to run with my peeps, like a couple of days out with "the family". I'm having fun. Won a $125 semis check near the end of last year and paraded it around like I won a Wally at Indy LOL. Cut about 35 cars in SP down to 4, that's a damn good day IMHO.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you're worried about money in this sport, using a $50K car to do it is the wrong way. Plenty of low buck dragsters or alcohol powered 6.50 1/8 mile cars with big tires. That's how you make money. To me this is a hobby. That being said my car cost $14K to build, took me 5 winters and 1 summer. Its won over $30K in 7 years. Certainly not enough to quit my job. But it makes it easy to go racing. On the other hand if you can afford to spend $50K or more on a car, payout shouldn't matter.
Doug

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Lmao exactly!! No clue why people do that. I can see shaking down a new car or just testing whatever but any other time nah.
Maybe people love to race? Or being at the track with some of the best people you've met in your life and hanging out. If I get a check at the end of the day, that's cool. If I don't I probably had a good time. If your doing drag racing for the money......lol.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
That's not what I meant. I like to race as much as anyone else but to just wear my motor out week after week for no chance of decent money doesnt appeal to me but some people do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For 6 races entey fees are around 2200$ and no payouts. Our car is about 60k. We run becaus we love the sport. This is how we do it in Finland

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I have been in this game a long time. Where we run into trouble is when any one of us pretends to know what makes someone else happy. Big payouts draw wealthier racers. Small entries draw more conservative racers. We are not all cut from the same economic mold. I have seen both programs thrive.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
I have been in this game a long time. Where we run into trouble is when any one of us pretends to know what makes someone else happy. Big payouts draw wealthier racers. Small entries draw more conservative racers. We are not all cut from the same economic mold. I have seen both programs thrive.
well said
But I want to point out some big money economic logic: This shits expensive. So the answer is to travel further, pay much larger entry for a slim chance of a larger payout. Brilliant! Spend and risk MORE money! Lol

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
Nothing like taking a $50k car and racing for $1500...
how about taking a $ 10,000,000 operation to a track to win 50K . The NHRA pro classes do it every week. Tell me what pay out is worth pulling a 50K car out of the garage for

21 - 40 of 56 Posts