Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHUT DOWN CONDITIONS UNFAVORABLE FOR OSM COMPETITORS

Outlaw Street Madness will be looking for a new track to host its August 23rd event. At the series’ event at Action City Dragway in May, several racers had a hard time stopping at the top end due to bumpy surfaces and the four foot wall of dirt at the end of the track. The track is known for having a short shutdown, but most feel there are better ways to prevent a driver from going off into the dirt, or worse, rocketing over the dirt and onto the public road not far away. Plans were in effect at the end of the 2007 season to lengthen the track, remove the dirt wall and install a better sand trap and catch net but the untimely death of the previous track owner prevented plans from evolving. Rest assured these things did not go unnoticed at the May event. In talking with OSM drivers most felt it very unnerving and explained that they were thinking more about being able to safely stop their cars instead of being focused on racing.

“The recent events in NHRA involving Scott Kalitta have drawn attention to event facilities all over the country. Top end safety should never be an issue. The first question I get asked by newcomers to our events now is what does the shutdown area consist of? This tells me that people are concerned now more than ever about being able to complete a pass without fear of incident. While drag racing is a dangerous sport, steps can be made to prevent avoidable ugly situations.” Stated Kelly Pelrine, Outlaw Street Madness promoter.

“I want my racers to not only feel safe, but be as safe as they can be. They understand the risks involved in the sport they compete in and although we can’t foresee every undesirable occurrence, I owe it to them to make these tracks as safe as possible.”
“I spoke with Action City’s track owners and they did everything they could to convince the township that removing the dirt wall and shutting down the public road were a necessity when having the caliber of cars that an Outlaw Street Madness event brings. Doing so would enable drivers an extended runoff until improvements could be made over the winter. But, unfortunately the township did not see the point. Both I and Action City’s staff were perplexed with the outcome of their decision. I would like to thank Connie and Matt for their efforts.”

“It is really a shame that we can’t race at Action City as the staff are extremely courteous and helpful not to mention the racing surface is a heck of a hooking track. But I’d rather not have the event at all then one of my guys get hurt and knowing I could have done something about it. I just couldn’t live with that.”

Hopefully Outlaw Street Madness can secure another venue and not have to completely cancel the event. Race promoter Kelly Pelrine has already contacted Edgewater Sports Park and US 41 Dragway to see about making accommodations. Information will be posted on www.outlawstreetmadness.com once available.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Kelly,

I would suggest you pole your racers for opinions and or suggestions, I think you will find it enlightning that all will have an opinion of what they would like to see but also what direction to go in the best interest of OSM. Maybe even a fresh idea, no one has considered.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kelly,

I would suggest you pole your racers for opinions and or suggestions, I think you will find it enlightning that all will have an opinion of what they would like to see but also what direction to go in the best interest of OSM. Maybe even a fresh idea, no one has considered.
I have some ideas as to the direction i would like the series to go and i believe from talking with everyone we share the same general opinion. I am always up for listening and new ideas! The next few months i will be discussing some things with tracks etc and hope to have a game plan in place very soon for next year. I wanna be on my game BEFORE PRI this year ;)

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,394 Posts
Kelly,

$300+ in fuel to Edgewater or Columbus aint gonna happen. Plus my shit is still scattered across a work bench and my brand new intake was drilled wrong....

We know why I wont go to 41, but I do hope you have a good turn out. Not for their sake, but for yours. I was really trying to get my shit together to come run Terre Haute.

Vanilla

·
Registered
888 Posts
now thats funny :rolleyes:

I thought you might make it to the aug race ...
so we could see who has the real snail ??

my car is winning races or going rounds at every race I go to
and I finished # 2 in the points at osca in 2007..:party

how did you finish last year in the series your racing with...?

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,394 Posts
I was comming to the Aug race when it was scheduled for Terre Haute. I just see the reasoning to travel clear to Ohio for one race. Maybe next year.

So how fast has that snail been anyways?? Since the closing of the OSCA, I haven't been able to see you pat yourself on the back much.....

Vanilla

·
Registered
435 Posts
I was at the last race at Xenia last year doing my final recon before starting the new car and it looked like grease out there, hope that is not typical.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I was comming to the Aug race when it was scheduled for Terre Haute. I just see the reasoning to travel clear to Ohio for one race. Maybe next year.

So how fast has that snail been anyways?? Since the closing of the OSCA, I haven't been able to see you pat yourself on the back much.....

Vanilla
aug race is in the middle of southern indiana..
I won the first race at ohio valley with a string of 4.94's @ 142 mph:cool:
you can see me pat myself on the back everyday at ...
ovos.proboards3.com..he..he..he
and I am # 2 in points after 2 races...
now back to the real question when will you be at a track trying to race ? ...and where.....:rolleyes:

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,394 Posts
4.90's with that 700" motor??? I know its old school stuff, but your lettin Hupp drag yer ass???? Dude.....

I should have the motor together this weekend and back in the car by middle of next week....

As for WHERE, I have no clue.... its gonna be Aug before I get the bugs worked out so that leaves out chasing points anywhere so I will run some local stuff and get the combo worked out....

Vanilla

·
Registered
888 Posts
hupp has problems getting down the track if it's above 60 degree's he came to the last valley race and broke something the night before testing...he went 5.20's ..he has been to the osm race and went 7.0's and another race and went 6.0's ..so the last race at osca he went 1 more round than me and won the points chase ....but hupp could not make it out of the 5.'s . I went 4.93 that night but got beat by a better light .
so hupp in the last 2 races I was at could not out run my car, even though it's old school it goes down the track fast enough to beat him for alot less head ache and a 1/10 th of the money..my car makes enough money from races that ..

I can sponsor cash to help the other class at the race
I can race for free..entry fee's and travel expenses
and have some money left to pay for the freshen up's every 2 years tooooooo:cool:
I am not the fastest car there but all I due is change the oil and spark plugs every 10 runs for 2 years..

.thats my kind of racing ...

can you say the same about your racing program.. vanilla??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.