Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a garage thats 24' deep and a 6' privacy fence that extends about 18' parallel to the garage. I want to do some work outside and make a temporary tarp roof carport. I would like to make 6 bows to hold up the tarp out of lightweight material to attach from the edge of the garage over to the privacy fence.

Really would like to fabricate a lightweight truss. I was thinking about a bow and arrow & using some sort of tube or wood plank and stringing a cable or rope from one end to the other so it will arch up as a bow or truss, Any pro's or con's to this idea? Also similiar to a camping tent bow maybe. I need to make 6 "trusses" on the cheap.

Anyone got a better idea.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Northern tool has temp garages cheap just don't leave them out during the summer or the cover will not last much more than the warrantee.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
19' by 21' temporary garage is $1295.00 And its nothing more than a roof and gables. Plus the city will hassle me about permits and such with tarp to existing garage they really cant say shit as long as the truss/bows are simple.

How would I use pvc? Elaborate please?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep in mind I wanna stay around $150 total including the tarp!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there anyplace or industry that uses fiberglass poles that are hollow? And 18-19' feet long? I want just enough "bow" to give the tarrp structure and shed water.

I use easy ups and 10'x20' tube tents before. Those are not really what I need. I only need a tarp the balls with elastic to attach the tarp and at least 6 simple bows.
I dont mind doing some labor to make something. Epoxy/fiberglass /wood & cable etc.

This is as much a engineering exercise for my own amusement as anything.

·
Banned
7,331 Posts
PVC pipe will work great as your poles. The schedule 40 will be about twice as thick as the cheapest irrigation pipe and will have more than enough strength to do what you want. It will gradually degrade in the sunlight though, so it will probably only last a couple years. Best part is that it's flexible, easy to cut and fasten together (fittings and glue are cheap) and will last longer than your tarp.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh. I got a bunch of pvc tube out in the roof of the garage. Was going to plumb airlines in pvc, but got scared of it when a friends airline exploded with shrapnel. Decided agaisnt plastic airline then & there. I have a bag of various fittings too. Just didnt think itvwould hold up as a truss.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Huh. I got a bunch of pvc tube out in the roof of the garage. Was going to plumb airlines in pvc, but got scared of it when a friends airline exploded with shrapnel. Decided agaisnt plastic airline then & there. I have a bag of various fittings too. Just didnt think itvwould hold up as a truss.

Use Pex on the airline, plumbed all over our plant, and has never blown. Our compressor runs 12 hours a [email protected] 120 psi

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a bunch of chainlink toprail also. I can weld to it also. I tore down chainlink to put up privacy. Still putting up privacy as a matter of fact. I had originally envisioned a triangle-ated beams like the soundstage rigs. But waaaaaay to pricey to emulate that design I think.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We use pushlock fittings and blue flexible 3/8" and 10mm tubing for airlines at work alot too currently. Works great. The pvc I have in the garage is just plain white 1"

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I live in New England and you really can't use those tarp type units the snow caves them in. I could not get the metal roof type because no sides, snow would drift and bury car. Right before snow flew this year I made this one. Its made from all the steel fence tubing from my pool when I took fence down. I welded up the frame(free) used free wood given to me to make roof platform. All I had to buy was roof plywood and thin plywood outer skin and shingles. Have $300 total and it will hold 2 feet of snow.

I drilled lower tubes for slip in axle wheel units so I can move unit around too.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pretty sweet I like that! I got a 71' Toyota landcruiser I am going to be doing some serious work on soon and want to keep the weather off of me and keep the ground dry and the truck.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cant use my garage because I need to park my other vehicles in it. Also having a theft problem in area so I dont want to attract too much attention to my property. The Landcruiser is getting the 3 speed manual pulled out and a TH350 trans and 241 transfer case swapped in.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just google PVC paint booth. If you were going to use tent rods as trusses then why don't you think PVC would work? You use "T"s and elbows to form the corners and it could be zip tied or wire tied to your existing structure. Hell for that matter you could drill a hole thru it and screw it to your existing structure. It might sound rickity but I promise it would hold up better than tent rods. Is it gonna last forever?...... NO Would it hold up to two foot of snow?....... I doubt it. Will it keep you dry and warmer than working outside?.....Hell yea.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.