Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone onto these things? I do not know the 1st thing about them. I read about the different kinds. But That about means nothing if I cannot physically look at one.
Liam is big time into Astronomy & wants a telescope for Christmas.

I really need to keep the costs under $200($160 for the scope & about $40 for shipping) .
Need something that uses a tripod, as this will be on our balcony. I could build a table to use a dobsonian<sp?
Reason I need to keep it at that price is also because he wants/needs a laptop. Right now he has an old netbook & it cannot do half the flash stuff anymore. He needs it for a lot of school work & looking at a tiny 6" screen is not helping him. So there is $500.
Also getting him a Kindle(only $80) because he keeps taking my wife's...LOL

If I have to wait until January to get the scope I guess I can. I just do not want to get him a crap one. He wants to be able to see planets & such. We have good Binoculars. But he wants something we can attach the camera to & take photos.

So anyone have some 1st hand experience with this stuff? Do you sell these things? Let me know.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Looking at something like this possibly.
http://www.amazon.com/Orion-SkyQues...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1319804691&sr=1-1

·
&#1575;&#1604;&#1603;&#1578;&#1575;&#1576; &#1575;
6,697 Posts
I use a Bushnell Northstar...A little more than you're looking to spend, but they are nice size, quality optics, and will be great for seeing all the things a beginner needs to see, like the moon, Jupiter's moons, Saturn's rings, Orion nebula, etc...

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/bushnell/8197+8198+8273.cfm?source=googleaw&kwid=bushnell%20telescopes&tid=exact&k_clickid=47ac74a0-5157-ba08-0201-000051b2a2ec&gclid=CIag9uK_i6wCFQLj7Qod-2Zvmg

Check out the entire telescopes.com site for all you could ever want! It's an expensive hobby, especially when you start to really want to look at deepspace objects.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
you bunch of peeping TOMS LOL

DIRTY PHUCKERS TELL USE WHAT YOU REALLY DO WITH THEM?????????????

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use a Bushnell Northstar...A little more than you're looking to spend, but they are nice size, quality optics, and will be great for seeing all the things a beginner needs to see, like the moon, Jupiter's moons, Saturn's rings, Orion nebula, etc...

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/bushnell/8197+8198+8273.cfm?source=googleaw&kwid=bushnell%20telescopes&tid=exact&k_clickid=47ac74a0-5157-ba08-0201-000051b2a2ec&gclid=CIag9uK_i6wCFQLj7Qod-2Zvmg

Check out the entire telescopes.com site for all you could ever want! It's an expensive hobby, especially when you start to really want to look at deepspace objects.

That is exactly what my boy wants to see. He has been reading researching. His favorite planet is Saturn & really wants to see it. Just looking for a good scope..no electronics. Would rather pay more for better optics, than electronics. I am getting some computer programs & a few books, so we can actually look for stuff & learn it that way.
I have looked at that site. They have great prices from what I have searched so far. But man there are so many choices. I cannot simply return this to a store.

you bunch of peeping TOMS LOL

DIRTY PHUCKERS TELL USE WHAT YOU REALLY DO WITH THEM?????????????
LOL...I do not need a telescope for anything like that. I live in the heart of the University of Panama. The building I live in is just like a dorm. There is no shortage of college ass to stare at. :D

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Two thoughts:
When my son was young we bought a couple of telescopes for him. We learned that trying to save money buys you a lot of flustration; but could never afford one that would have been worthwhile.
Does you area have a public observatory that you could take him to? This might be a way to scratch his itch or show you that a bigger investment would be worthwhile.

·
Registered
951 Posts
That is exactly what my boy wants to see. He has been reading researching. His favorite planet is Saturn & really wants to see it. Just looking for a good scope..no electronics. Would rather pay more for better optics, than electronics. I am getting some computer programs & a few books, so we can actually look for stuff & learn it that way.
I have looked at that site. They have great prices from what I have searched so far. But man there are so many choices. I cannot simply return this to a store.

LOL...I do not need a telescope for anything like that. I live in the heart of the University of Panama. The building I live in is just like a dorm. There is no shortage of college ass to stare at. :D
My sons have the same one...worth it!!! Its fun to watch one work the telescope while the other holds an IPAD in the air with the constellations on it.

Before the "upgrade" they had a no name telescope that my wife bought, was enough to "fuel the fire" so to speak.

·
&#1575;&#1604;&#1603;&#1578;&#1575;&#1576; &#1575;
6,697 Posts
Espresso said:
LOL...I live in the heart of the University of Panama. The building I live in is just like a dorm. There is no shortage of college ass to stare at.
In that case, make sure to get a camera ring attachment for the telescope... and pics or ban! LOL

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That is exactly what my boy wants to see. He has been reading researching. His favorite planet is Saturn & really wants to see it.
Print a few free charts and help show him where to look without a telescope. lol

Its certainly a crazy when you see it for the first time in detail. If you get enough telescope its even more amazing to look out and see rings in another galaxy or a donut galaxy. Its adds perspective of how small we are.

I havent researched anything for a starter kit but if he retains the interest as i have and continues with it be looking for stuff that will allow the attachment of a camera.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the one we settled on. The Celestron PowerSeeker 80 EQ. For $115 could not pass it up. he saw some videos of it, compared to some others & said he likes this one. It has some good reviews. We shall see.

Also got him a Acer 11.6" netbook. Dual core, HDMI(mandatory), 320G. Everything he wants & needs for $350, when the next lowest price I could find is $490 & the only difference was a 15.6" screen. It will be hooked to his T.V. most of the time anyway.... and a Kindle.
Love it. Most of his shopping is done & I never had to leave the house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts