Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
B&M 420 Megablower - anyone here ever re-strip one ?
I've had mine apart, replaced the end seals on the rotors. Now I've got one Teflon strip that's split. Actually split about 3 years ago, showed about 1/8" gap, didn't seem to hurt performance any but now its spread to about 3/8 to 1/2" gap. Think maybe its time.;)
Anybody sell just the strips ?
Looking close at them, they almost look like they're crimped into the rotors ?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Check with Dyer blowers.

Also Rick at Dean's blowers out west.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
SSI[Cleveland,Ohio USA] will cover the basics on the phone with you and sell you what you need.I watched some Nitro racers do there's in the pits to get an idea of how it is done but don't do mine.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
the strips are smaller than conventional chargers as per the blower shop (at least a 174 charger is), they ream them to the std size for a strip job, they are one of the few that rebuild the b&m stuff, I would call the blower shop..

·
Registered
2 Posts
B&M 420 Megablower - anyone here ever re-strip one ?
I've had mine apart, replaced the end seals on the rotors. Now I've got one Teflon strip that's split. Actually split about 3 years ago, showed about 1/8" gap, didn't seem to hurt performance any but now its spread to about 3/8 to 1/2" gap. Think maybe its time.;)
Anybody sell just the strips ?
Looking close at them, they almost look like they're crimped into the rotors ?
yes, you can buy the strips, you must measure your blower pocket the rotor sits in and turn the rotor with the new strips to a few thousands over so they will turn and seat themselves to the pockets that always have some marks wear whatever. You have to do this or they won't turn when you put it back together. The material you remove on the lathe is off the teflon, not the aluminum.
When you put in the new teflon, let them sit overnight before you trim the ends off or they will shrink and have gaps at the ends. The strips are dove tailed as are the rotor slots. To install the stripsuse vicegrips on the end of the teflon behind the pliers start the teflon in the dovetail and pull guiding the strip into the rotor slot.
I bought mine from http://wizardswarehouse.com/ . The 174 was 3/16". be sure to check and grease the back side end bearings and seals, they are the main cause of failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts