Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all of the techs and parts people on here, how would you rate your writers? Blow nuts? Average? Above average? Sales kings? I realize it's tough to judge considering how much the economy sucks right now so try and average it out if you can. Mine, IMO, have always been average at best and lately really been lacking. My wholesale is the only thing worth mentioning as the shop doesn't do nearly what it should. It's either under warranty when it should be customer pay or it's customer pay with a phucking discount.:smt097

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
My guy is the fukin' ABSOLUTE best!...
Could sell ice to an Eskimo, in the middle of the Tundra!...

(of course, I'm a One Man shop)!... :smt102

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have one decent one, and one that isn't fit to even sell cars.
That's how my guys seem to be. The guy who covers first time customers and used car (all internal) does pretty damn well when he's on. He just makes stupid mistakes that keep him from being the best of the 4. Another one is a cheap ass phuck who is either just as good as the new customer guy or as shitty as the worst guy. It depends. He sometimes hits some good home runs. Another one probably sells the most but it also the biggest idiot of the 3. And the last guy is by far the worst. More shit discounted and given away then almost 2 other guys put together. One month specifically he sold half as much as the top guy but warrantied twice as much. And on top of that he's an alcoholic loser asshole who gets super pissed when you point out how much he sucks at his job. On top of them, we have a service manager who doesn't have the balls to actually do anything about us losing money and jobs month after month due to horrible service writers. At the end of the day, we have a solid team of techs and a good parts department who both get phucked over by the writers.

·
Registered
447 Posts
from my time on the bench, it seems there are service "writers" and advisors... writers do just that, write down complaints and send it to the shop... even under warranty an advisor may be able to suggest some extra (legit) services that overtime to make some good $$$. do you guys have writers or guys that advise??

·
SEENYOR MEMBER
7,966 Posts
Advisors are moving on, fucking stealerships dont want to pay them. I was writing $75,000 a month in LABOR during the summer months in a 6 tech shop......didnt get paid on parts and CSI was a 1/4 of my monthly salary. Work 11 hrs a day, every other Saturday, deal with all that bullshit for 50K a year....SEE YA.

Fuck that, I am an insurance adjuster now.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've been in the same store for 23 years. I've had all kinds...some didn't know what a spark plug or brake pad was and some were so good that it made fixing the cars easy because they could get the correct info from the customer and build a trust with them. In 2 weeks we'll have none. Can't wait for that...

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've been in the same store for 23 years. I've had all kinds...some didn't know what a spark plug or brake pad was and some were so good that it made fixing the cars easy because they could get the correct info from the customer and build a trust with them. In 2 weeks we'll have none. Can't wait for that...
where they all goin??

·
Registered
447 Posts
to me this is huge... " i have a noise at the back" versus "rattle at LR/RR over bumps,or up driveways" etc.... saves a whole hell of a lot of time chasing.

are you a tech ? advisor or manager??

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm an adviser, we are at the bottom of a V techs on one side and customers on the other. All the shit rolls down on us. I work for a lexus dealership. Csi is tough there cause the customers have been on a petestal for so long and given so much there is nothing left to give but they feel entitled to something, it sucks. We work in teams my team has 4 techs and we make around 1100 hrs a month and usually have a 2.3 hours per ro. The shop has around 65 appts a day. All the other teams have 3 techs so they make more he each bit I have more a month. Techs are big man babies but mine awesome and wouldn't have any other way

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The writers that leave our store either get out of the business or go to a higher volume store. We can't seem to sell enough hours for those poor writers to hit there bonus.

To make a loooong story short...I'm a Chevy tech. We lost our franchise in Nov. '10 and have been trying to make it as a independent. In 11 months we've gone thru 3 service managers/writer/parts man, because you have to be all 3 in 1. I can't turn over 6 hours a day learning a new car/system etc. on everything from A to Z. The owner and I don't agree on flat rate vs. hourly pay in an indy shop, so I'm taking my Corvette experience and going to a Corvette/Muscle car specialty shop that has been after me for a long time.

blown454ss, My hats off to you being at a Lexus store. I've heard some horror stories about "Lexus people". Just can't please them and most are very condescending.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Advisors are moving on, fucking stealerships dont want to pay them. I was writing $75,000 a month in LABOR during the summer months in a 6 tech shop......didnt get paid on parts and CSI was a 1/4 of my monthly salary. Work 11 hrs a day, every other Saturday, deal with all that bullshit for 50K a year....SEE YA.

Fuck that, I am an insurance adjuster now.

thats the truth lol

·
3,084 Posts
I ve been an advisor for a long time, I like the job but its tough sometimes. Nothing will push an advisor over the edge faster than grief from the techs. the amount of bullshit and blame recieved from customers would make most guys want to punch them in the face. its hard to keep your composure, but when you feel shit on by the techs and the management as well as your customers, you loose all motivation. just a thought..

·
Registered
269 Posts
Both my fuckin writers are happy with what they make off parts and labor, I cant get them to sell cp for shit! If its not warranty or aftermarket warranty its fucken goodwilled. Lucky for them our csi is top ten in the nation thats the only thing making there ass untouchable right now. When the csi drops there getting the fuckin boot right after they try blaming the techs for the bad csi. But its all good when its high its there doing when its low its everyone else. These are the type of writers that beat the part dept for parts prices then go and ask the tech i can sell this job if we knock a hour off the labor but would never discount the labor rate to make ther profit look low. Slimey muther fuckers!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I'm fortunate to have two good service writers. They both can sell jobs without any issue as long we [technicians] don't give them hard time and FIXED customer's vehicle right in first time.

From my experiences, vehicle fixed right in first time + happy customers = happy service writers.

·
SEENYOR MEMBER
7,966 Posts
Both my fuckin writers are happy with what they make off parts and labor, I cant get them to sell cp for shit! If its not warranty or aftermarket warranty its fucken goodwilled. Lucky for them our csi is top ten in the nation thats the only thing making there ass untouchable right now. When the csi drops there getting the fuckin boot right after they try blaming the techs for the bad csi. But its all good when its high its there doing when its low its everyone else. These are the type of writers that beat the part dept for parts prices then go and ask the tech i can sell this job if we knock a hour off the labor but would never discount the labor rate to make ther profit look low. Slimey muther fuckers!
I was a tech before I was a writer, I never cut the techs end, I cut it off the labor rate.....pay the tech he's doing the WORK.

Pissed off my service manager, but it all washed out in the end. My hours per RO was always above 2.5, flirted with 3.0 a couple of months.....my ELR suffered sometimes. Because I wasnt getting paid on parts I cut their throats as much as I could to get the job.

Fucking BG guy loved my ass, cried a river when I left. I was a flush sellin' fool.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear you, brother. Our guys are more than happy to cut the techs off at the knees, offer a discount, ask us to lower prices, and feel like they did a good job that day. The other day we had to chop $240 from a tire sale because the alcoholic fuck who sold it fucked up his quote. Maybe if he took the bottle away from his face or stopped talking about hockey every other minute he'd do his job correctly for once.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have been I nthe same store for 26 years. Some are great and some should be asking paper or plastic. We currently have one guy that is awsome another that is solid but has alot of loose ends, another that likes to work 4 days a week and yet one more that just fills in when needed. A great writer can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I have been an advisor at a Toyota store for 13 years. My store is extremely high volume, some days we will move 150 cars through the doors by 12:00. After getting beat up by the tech for taking to long to sell his job, the appointment coordinator for not answering the phone in 15 seconds after being paged, the customer being pissed off that it took them 30 minutes just to make it in the building just to get written up and also catching a beating for not having enough people working there for the volume (like I have a say in that), management wanting to know why people are waiting so long to be written up (let’s see, 100+ cars in a 4 hour span, opening closing RO’s, phone calls, selling work…this does not take time…)….Then management nickel and dining you every commissions check….It does talk the life/drive right out of you. Maybe it’s different at a slower dealership, but I don’t wish my job on anybody.

How would I rate my parts guys? Let’s see…. Call back cause the price he quoted me just a minute ago on a part is $50 higher then what the same guy quoted the same customer an hour before that. He tells me, I have to call you back. I say this customer is standing in front of me I need to know now and he hangs up on me. I wait a minute and get pissed to I walk back to the parts counter and fine them ALL playing call of duty. Customer is now even more pissed, I’m pissed, and 2 customers waiting behind that one I am helping are now getting pissed. Had a tech waiting for me to sell something that is also getting mad……. Maybe at some dealers the writer is the problem, but that’s just not always the case……

1 - 20 of 40 Posts