Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday someone called who was looking for o-rings for a Sonnax 2 ring servo for a 'glide. No problem, we stock them all the time. I advised him on the use of shim stock to cover the hole in the case so that the rings wouldn't get cut, and outlined in detail how to install the servo. We had a discussion about replacement gearsets, whose stuff works and lives, what ratio to use, and what I would recommend if the trans was in our shop. I gladly gave my time to answer his questions, took his order for the o-rings and got a credit card number to finalize the order. I packaged his o-rings and included some shim stock at no charge to him. He commented that the shipping was going to be more than the product cost and IT WAS!

Today he called to complain about that very issue. At the end of the call he informed my office staff that he "would never buy anything from us again!" Let me be clear: I DO NOT SET UPS SHIPPING RATES!! We do have a handling fee for all shipments which will impact your shipping charge. I feel this is reasonable. Somehow I have to pay for cardboard, tape, staples and packing material. This customer thought that USPS was a more reasonable cost. Probably, but I rarely spend my afternoon camped out at the post office and our policy is to ship via UPS.

For all of you who feel that customer service can suffer sometimes, remember that this is the kind of BS we are forced to endure daily and it does take a toll. We try hard to be personable and helpful, but stupidity is nearly intolerable. I gave someone invaluable advice and DONATED my time and professionalism all for the sake of $24.00 This is why a lot of people charge for tech help or refuse to give phone advice.

Rant over. Kinda...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yesterday someone called who was looking for o-rings for a Sonnax 2 ring servo for a 'glide. No problem, we stock them all the time. I advised him on the use of shim stock to cover the hole in the case so that the rings wouldn't get cut, and outlined in detail how to install the servo. We had a discussion about replacement gearsets, whose stuff works and lives, what ratio to use, and what I would recommend if the trans was in our shop. I gladly gave my time to answer his questions, took his order for the o-rings and got a credit card number to finalize the order. I packaged his o-rings and included some shim stock at no charge to him. He commented that the shipping was going to be more than the product cost and IT WAS!

Today he called to complain about that very issue. At the end of the call he informed my office staff that he "would never buy anything from us again!" Let me be clear: I DO NOT SET UPS SHIPPING RATES!! We do have a handling fee for all shipments which will impact your shipping charge. I feel this is reasonable. Somehow I have to pay for cardboard, tape, staples and packing material. This customer thought that USPS was a more reasonable cost. Probably, but I rarely spend my afternoon camped out at the post office and our policy is to ship via UPS.

For all of you who feel that customer service can suffer sometimes, remember that this is the kind of BS we are forced to endure daily and it does take a toll. We try hard to be personable and helpful, but stupidity is nearly intolerable. I gave someone invaluable advice and DONATED my time and professionalism all for the sake of $24.00 This is why a lot of people charge for tech help or refuse to give phone advice.

Rant over. Kinda...
Well stated.

It seems to be a "internet" driven attitude. When I was first learning as an auto technician and transmission builder, there was no instant access to information. If you wanted to know it, you learned it the hard way, you were FORTUNATE enough to get some free info from a more experienced person (and you appreciated it), or you went out and bought a book.

The builders who answer questions here, Hutch who is gracious enough to sponsor this section, Mike from Hipster/ATD, yourself from ATD, Chris from CKPerformance, Gilbert from Ace Racing, Stuarta, Woods Racing Trans, and half a dozen others who give advice are doing so without reward. Sure you may get a sale from giving advice but it's a double edge sword in that you will give out hours of free advice on the phone besides what is given here.

I limit the advice that I give anymore. I visit forums during my downtime when I have a spare minute, not because I need the business. I assume it's similar for all the other builders. If I can answer a question and save a guy some grief, and maybe a dozen others later on who search the threads, I've done some good.

There are a lot of builder who don't give any advice or information unless you are paying up front. Maybe they're smarter...

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I found in my experience that for the most part if you help people above and beyond, they shit on you.

I bet you if you'd charged double list price for the parts and the shipping came out less, and you gave him all that info, you'd be a hero.

Sorry to hear about this situation, it sucks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not everyone's a douche but they do seem to be multiplying. I appreciate all the pros on all the sub forums on here. I'm building a car and hop around about all of the sections on here depending on what I'm concentrating on at the time. Hell I spend more time reading, listening , talking and learning with you guys than I do my wife!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Yup. There are bastards then there are cheap bastards.

Been there.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A guy did his own oil change on a C4.

It was slipping like a bitch after and brought it to me.

Dropped the pan for a looksee.

He lost the valve and spring under the filter.

It was installed, buttoned up and invoiced.

Holy suffering Moses was he mad.

He could have done that.

Pay your bill and FROAD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts