Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a few experiences I have to share:

"I need 710 dad". I get a call from my daughter while she is at school. she said something was wrong with her car and it wouldn't start. She checked everything and discovered she was very low on "710".

This next one was pretty funny. For months she kept telling me that her transmission was slipping into low gear. I don't have time to look at it so I send her to my friend who owns and operates a transmission shop. He calls me up and said he had looked at the car and "everything was perfectly fine". My daughter picks up the car and calls me at work a few minutes later. "Dad, I got the car back and the transmission is slipping like crazy. I am on the highway and it won't come out of first gear." I ask her how fast she is going on the highway and she says "70 mph". I tell her to immediately pull over and I will send a tow truck to get the car.

I go over to the shop after work and my daughter was suppose to meet me but she is late. My friend comes out and we get in the car and take it for a drive. It is shifting perfectly and works great. When we get back my daughter is there so we put her in the car, I get in the passenger seat and my friend gets in the back. She starts driving and immediately goes, "see its slipping like crazy dad". I look at her dumbfounded and ask her what in heck she is talking about. She points to the tach and says "see, look, when I accelerate it goes from 1st to 2nd to 3rd but when I get to forth it slips back down to first and second"! True story!!!

Another interesting story was the second time I took her out to drive. She was doing fine and we were coming to a big intersection. I told here to make sure she kept scanning the road as she passed through the intersection. I notice that we are drifting a little left so I look over at her. She has her head buried in her shoulders with her eyes closed. I yell immediately... "Babe what the heck!". She looks over at me and says "Daddy I was scared"!

To all you fathers out there... good luck. My daughter totalled one car and crashed the next one 6 times in two years.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine new how to drive a 6 years old... seems like you didnt take time to raise her
Your kid drives new 6 year olds? Where do you live, West Virginia? When you say "drives" what exactly do you mean? Maybe I have misunderstood you?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Haha, good stories.
My boy is 11 and I have already had him driving my truck. Thankfully he is still a little scared to ask to drive the car

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, good stories.
My boy is 11 and I have already had him driving my truck. Thankfully he is still a little scared to ask to drive the car
My daughter was the first I had to teach how to drive. I have four more to teach. My oldest son is 14 years old and I have already bought him a car and started having him tool around in the parking lot. I am also going to rebuild his motor and transmission with him as well as have him redo his seats and some other odds and ends. Totally new approach with this kid. He has no interest which makes it a challenge but I am hoping it goes better than with my daughter. The next four are boys so hoping for the best.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Can't wait to get my kids to driving something.
I'm sure I'll have good stories to tell.
I'll get them started way earlier on gocarts and other things

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Had my oldest who is now 20 driving the lawn mower at 7. By 10 she was doing donuts on the 4 wheelers. 12 she was doin donuts in my f250. HASN'T EVER SLOWED DOWN!!!!!!! Now, by her paying a few speeding tickets, slowing down :)! She understands car control and I wanted her to know it at a young age - her mom not so much!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I dont have a daughter... but I gave up on trying to teach my little sister anything... she totaled two cars in two years, and I refused to ride with her. This past winter she had to pick me up from the airport, and I on the way home I was more afraid for my life than when I was 3 miles in the sky:rolleyes:

The 710 thing was too funny, though....

·
Registered
433 Posts
At 12 my daughter could drive my 93 Lightning. I taught her to to back me down the boat ramp to launch our boat (20' Center console). I don't want it to come across that I'm bashing you, but there is no substitute for proper training. Before i would let my Daughter start to drive her first car I taught her to change a flat tire,check and change her oil, and we went over the operation and function of all lights and gauges. on top of that she went through 40 hours of driver training. Perhaps you need to look into a local driver training school of some sort.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Ha! Good stories! My two daughters are 19 and 16 and they're both now driving. My 19 year old and I went driving every night for an hour for about 6 months after she got her learner's permit. I must say that she's a great driver. She's been driving for 3 years now and there's been no tickets or accidents yet.

My younger daughter just got her permit about two weeks ago but then went on a trip to California for 10 days. I took her driving for the very first time last night and we stayed out for an hour. We'll do it again tonight, tomorrow night, and every night until I feel like she's a good driver. We go at night because there's a lot less people on the roads and less chances of her getting flustered, scared, etc....

Last night she said, "Dad, there's a car behind me, what do I do?" LOL! I just said, "Keep on doing what you're doing and don't worry about it". She was so scared. LOL!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
seeing how my 8 y/o son flew out while my 10 y/o daughter was driving the golfcart in the yard, Im sure in for some fun. I didn't find out till we were driving it around the neighborhood and he said I needed to put seatbelts on it. that's when I saw my daughter giving him the "snitches get stitches" look. A few days later I told her one of the neighbors told me a story about the cart and did she need to tell me something, then she cracked.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have 2 daughters that have been driving for a few years now. Only had one bad incident with a snow storm, a ditch, a culvert and a Pont Sunfire. Living in WI it's not IF you put a car in a ditch, it's WHEN you put a car in a ditch. No one got hurt but we lost the Sunfire.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At 12 my daughter could drive my 93 Lightning. I taught her to to back me down the boat ramp to launch our boat (20' Center console). I don't want it to come across that I'm bashing you, but there is no substitute for proper training. Before i would let my Daughter start to drive her first car I taught her to change a flat tire,check and change her oil, and we went over the operation and function of all lights and gauges. on top of that she went through 40 hours of driver training. Perhaps you need to look into a local driver training school of some sort.
My daughter took Drivers education for 3 months over a summer, we hired a driving instructor for 12 months and didn't let her go for her license until she was 17. This is after I spent one year 3 days a week taking her out to drive. I think my wife has Asian in her blood and it came out with this kid! Also, we live in the research triangle park area of North Carolina. Traffic is crazy here and there is no good places to start them out. When she was 15 I used to drive her out to Fuquay Varina where the traffic was less heavy. I don't take it as bashing. I put my time in on this one. Nature or nurture... I have to say, after this experience with her nature is a big part of the puzzle.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
at 6 years old.. my girls already knew how to drive....
I know what you meant. It is called sarcasm. Maybe your 6 year old prodigy can teach you what that means. Also, here in the first world, we don't let our 6 year old children operate motor vehicles. You must be a great parent... I'm guessing they are probably pregnant already, however; that would be assuming they have hit 12 years of age!

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
I cant say with my daughter being 12 that i take her out nightly but when schedules align for a mutually shared hoir that we dont have something going i enjoy taking her out to the gravel roads so she can just get some seat time. Shes getting better than the last time each new trip, but shes gets her timidness from her mother thats for sure lol.

First drive we averaged 5-10mph for her 3 mile break in drive. Now shes averaging 25-35mph and isnt freaked out when the gravel crosses a black top.highway to continue out journey.

She likes it, though still timid, and i know in the big picture even these little jaunts will help vs one day "heres your permit, drive me to the store"

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I know I'm slow but, What does " I'm low on 710 mean"???

1 - 20 of 41 Posts