Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never done one before , whats good ( rubs) with what kind of meat
really looking for and good ideas

not to strong on the hot spices ( because of young kids ) but as flaverfull as you can get

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
My favorite is still Hickory Grill and you can get it at Bass Po. It's good on everything and everyone loves it.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
its kinda like asking what is the best beer. It is all personal preference. First thing you have to do is figure out what meat you are cooking. Pork, Beef, chicken, etc, etc.

·
Registered
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wife and i where thinking beef for a first try
i saw the jack daniel one on line
have not seen the hickory grill one
aroumd here it hard to find rubs , so im thinking home made rubs or getting on line

·
Registered
235 Posts
For the most part I make my own that I have a few different formula's for. If you go to make one and the ingredients call for chili powder or cayenne, cut back on the amount you use to reduce the heat. If you find that you like more heat add some. I actually bought three formula's from a gentleman by the name of Larry Wolfe that have worked well for me for $20. You can also find them all over the net. As I mentioned above you just need to adjust the heat if you make your own. Remember, if you make your own, to write down how much of what you use so you have data to tweak in the future. Here is a link if you would like to get them. http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/wolfe-rub-bbq-seasoning-recipes.htmlVince

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
I'd say if you are adventurous, make your own. Just watch the salt and cayenne pepper. I have occasionally seen online recipes that were clearly too spicy... Or if you are not, go online and buy some and see what you like.

·
102,312 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but what is a rub when it comes to food?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
wife and i where thinking beef for a first try
i saw the jack daniel one on line
have not seen the hickory grill one
aroumd here it hard to find rubs , so im thinking home made rubs or getting on line
Not even Montreal steak seasoning...? Budump bing....

But seriously I like the Grill Mates Montreal steak seasoning, good stuff.

·
All smiles and sunshine
1,057 Posts
We use Montreal steak seasoning on our steaks, but it's really not a rub. And it doesn't have a lemon flavor at all.

I looked on-line and found a few rubs I like (after tweaking them) for chicken and pork, but for steaks, we marinade in Dales, beer and Montreal.

·
All smiles and sunshine
1,057 Posts
For chicken on the grill, indirect heat

1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt or sea salt.
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Mix all together very well, then rub.

Make sure to rub on outer skin and under the skin directly on top of the meat. You'll have to pull the skin away from the meat, be careful, the skin breaks easy.

·
Registered
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not even Montreal steak seasoning...? Budump bing....

But seriously I like the Grill Mates Montreal steak seasoning, good stuff.
i didn't htimk of that one
i'll give it a try

·
Registered
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For chicken on the grill, indirect heat

1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt or sea salt.
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Mix all together very well, then rub.

Make sure to rub on outer skin and under the skin directly on top of the meat. You'll have to pull the skin away from the meat, be careful, the skin breaks easy.

that one looks good as well ,

thanks guys

1 - 20 of 27 Posts