Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i called them a few days ago with my specs to get an idea of what i will need. they said a 5800 8".

anyway my question is, are TCI converters pretty good? i've been told not to buy a cheap converter cause you get what you pay for (just like most engine parts)

i've always thought of TCI as a good street converter but not really a "race" converter.

any opinions wouls be awesome

thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is just my $.02

Torque Converters are a place where you need to either trust your converter company/guy or do your homework

There are lots of good converter comanies out there

I personally have been using Neal Chance for along time w/great results no matter what the application

My main build ups are door cars w/big H.P. - nitrous , turbo & blown alky

If you are interested in a Neal Chance give them a call & talk to Marty - 316-542-9869

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright i'll give them a jingle. i'll probably wait until i have dyno sheets of the engine to call them. i only called tci to get an idea.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,376 Posts
TCI has been around for a long time and their converters have been used in many "race" applications with great results. The majority of the type of work that I do requires annual or semi annual maintenance so converters that can be easily acccessed (bolt together designs) are nice to keep turn around time to a minimum in peak season if maintenance, repair or adjustments are required. I am partial to Neal Chance racing converters and have worked with their designs for years with great success.
Im not certain or your application but most high end companies have a huge data base to compare your combination to.

Hope this helps,Hutch

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i told them everything my car/engine had. i dunno if i even want to go that high. i know it would be best to but i want to drive it on the street maybe once a month or so. don't know if its good to drive around with that high of stall.

my setup is nothing fancy. just a 3300lb 2nd gen camaro, tubbed, 13:1, 18* 408 sbc, so its no power monster.

·
Super Moderator
19,376 Posts
5800 sounds great for a race application but it would probably be irritating on the street. I would think around 4000 to 4500 in a 9" converter would work great on the street and strip.

Take care,Hutch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts