Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning fellas....
hey im working on a TCI circle track direct drive power glide.. for the second time the low/reverse clutches have burnt up... now i do know that in these circle trak direct drive units slip the low clutches untill you get it up into high gear... but anyway has anyone found a way to keep the low clutches to live a bit longer? the bad thing is to i dont know how he drives.. maybe he is keeping it in the low side to long?? well thanks in advance fellas

·
Super Moderator
19,420 Posts
Tell him to stop backing up or sitting there with it in reverse idling. There is a bronze lined single clutch that used to be available which lasted much longer than multiple clutchs in that location. Try Coan , they may still have some.

Hutch

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
What rpm does it begin to engage low? You can adjust that with jet sizing if it's the TCI valve body, or do your own and use Holley jets. If it's dragging due to a too-low of an rpm it begins to engage then open up the bleed size slightly. Also I like to use the nitrided aka "Kolene" steels in a circle track Glide like this as they take the heat better. Frictions have been a toss up for me as to what seems to last, I used to use the Raybestos Blue Plates exclusively for high gear, but anymore I've used Alto frictions. Also, I run the clearance at .015" per friction for high and a bit more for reverse. I ran out of the bronze stuff a couple years ago myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts