Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never used an elbow to mount a single blade throttle body on a single plane 4150 style intake, but I see a lot of comments that an elbow compromises airflow quality, and not the best solution for a NA application. If that is the case, why not make an adapter plate for the 4150 flange to bolt the TB to the intake so it's sitting straight up?, like the old flying toilet deal?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Above the TB you can have a lot of setups, so no tips there but to test them. But for under the TB on a LS1 super vic be aware of the how large the single blade is, and were its direction air. And as cast how much of a top corner the runner dividers have. There going to be alot on not good going on between the bottom half of the big ass throttle blade on the plenum.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/studderin/super victor LS1 EFI/IMG_4145.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/studderin/super victor LS1 EFI/IMG_4156.jpg

And no only less the 100% but even a 100% and what angle that really is, and how that fits the manifold. The LS1 style tb, The TB runner is not 90* off the casting. The packing height is going to matter, you would want to get the TB on a 1 1/2, 2inch spacer. One a stock 75mm TB the blade is .780 past the back of the TB casting, a 92mm 1.01, 102mm TB is 1.30. So get the TB off the manifold and look for that.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speed density, so shouldn't need anything past the TB. Spacer between the manifold and the TB sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
There are times when it's a good idea to have the throttle body on an elbow or otherwise positioned away from the intake manifold runner inlets.

I recently ran into a situation with an off-shore boat that has a popular single plane intake on it with a big 4-blade throttle body and it was a disaster below full throttle under heavy loads - exactly where a boat tends to run a lot of the time. A/F distribution was frighteningly horrible until some spacers were added to dampen the plenum & even out the pressures a bit.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
The engine does not know nor does it care if the air goes into the manifold "straight" or not. There is nothing wrong with the elbow approach. The elbow also has the advantage of increasing the size of the plenum.

There is also nothing wrong with bolting a throttle body to a plate bolted to the flange of the manifold, kind of like a "single barrel" carb.

Air has no problem making "turns" in a naturally aspirated manifold. Think about a sheet metal "pro stock type" intake manifold, making very sharp 90-degree turns going from the plenum into the runners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts