Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do they really have unlimited hot water capability? i am thinking the propane model..do they save money versus electric? how much for a install? would appreciate any info thanks...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I have installed a few Rannai units this year and the feedback is great.I'm even using one(225,000btu) for a heated slab and works great there also.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
a guy @ work got a quote to put one in his house. they quoted $3500. seems like it would take a LOT of years to make up the difference from a regular H2O heater.

Any idea how long these are supposed to last?

Bob

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I was looking at one and was steered away from them. Yes, they work great however, they are very expensive and you could replace a tank 3 to 4 times what one of those units cost. Also, they do break down and when it goes could be a big expense. So I went with a larger tank model.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have installed 15 of the Rinnai 7.5 tankless water heaters with no problems. All on natural gas. They need isolation valves installed with them and flushed out once a year. Suppose to have a 15-20 plus year life expectancy. The company I work for charges $3800-$4000. U will never run out of hot water. Do not go with a cheap unit because you will have problems down the road with it. So dont buy one from Lowes, etc.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
I researched, and researchewd, and researched. I could get a tankless installed for $2500. Or a power vent 50gal for $1200 installed. Since the Power Vent's heater is more efficient than the tankless, they are both very close in in operating costs. It worked out to about $5 a month I would save with the tankless. In other words, I would never recoupe the extra costs.

So then the only difference would be hot water supply. We run hot showers for an hour every morning, plus sometimes the dishwasher and washer. Never ran out yet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is Dragit posting on a buddys account...

But i used to install these when I was a plumber. If you do it, the rannai units are the only way to go. They work GREAT but if you are doing it... dont do it to save money.

My step dad owns the plumbing company and we have never had one break down and thats even the commercial units we've installed in food joints.

Very high dollar... and as for saving on your gas bill every month... not enough difference for it to be a selling point. But the endless hot water is awesome for long showers lol

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
I know it doesn't mean much in comparison. BUT, I am getting one installed within the next few months. For the unit(big enough for 3 bathrooms+) & complete install, including plumbing the lines for gas. Grand total of $550.
I currently have a 30 gallon electric with one burned out element & have hot water for about 15 minutes.

Experience..
When we first got here the house we rented(5,000 sq ft w/ 4 baths) had a gas tankless...never ending hot water. Used about 20lbs of gas/month. That is with a family of 3 running hot water with washing machine also.
Considering we will be going from a 22V 20 y.o tank to a ZERO Volt(battery operated pilot light)...the saving would be obvious.
gas is a hell of a lot cheaper than electricity.

I did a test with our tank water heater. It has a timer & manual shutoff. I shut it off every night for a month. We saved $40 on our electric bill. But now I have have to leave it on, because it takes forever to heat(our friend we brought the place off of was only her & her husband & they hardly ever used hot water...here it is a luxury). They didn't like the bill & grew up with cold water & only ever turned it on when her grand children came over.

This is along the lines of the split AC also. I see in the states they are charging like $5000 installed for a 12000 BTU unit. But here the same unit INSTALLED is under $700. I just had a 9000 BTU installed in the master bedroom. The entire unit was $379 & install was an additional $20 because they needed longer lines.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I have installed 15 of the Rinnai 7.5 tankless water heaters with no problems. All on natural gas. They need isolation valves installed with them and flushed out once a year. Suppose to have a 15-20 plus year life expectancy. The company I work for charges $3800-$4000. U will never run out of hot water. Do not go with a cheap unit because you will have problems down the road with it. So dont buy one from Lowes, etc.
I need to raise my prices!I only charges $2200

·
Registered
283 Posts
I put a navian in my house it works well, definetly won't run out of hot water. Only problem I have is when you run hot water for a vanity or any small consumption appliance it take forever to get hot water.
Navian does offer one with a 1/2 gallon buffer tank with recirculation pump to cut down on water and time to get hot water.
If I was to do it again I would go with a bradford white 50 gallon with the 75k burner. But it does work and I have not ran out of hot water. It just takes some getting used to.

·
Aviation Section
25,700 Posts
Do a search on this topic here on the YB, there is quite a bit of information that has already been talked about on this topic. Dave

·
Banned
31,418 Posts
Our area has high lime deposits amongst other things. Plumber said to stay away!!

this is what whole house filters are for

i have a whole house filter and a reverse osmosis filteration system,and we have a hard water table-nothing gets into my drinking and cooking water

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
this is what whole house filters are for

i have a whole house filter and a reverse osmosis filteration system,and we have a hard water table-nothing gets into my drinking and cooking water
yup. When we lived in Florida I bought a Culligan(house & R.O. system, with a softener). I cant remember how much it was but it was pricey. I think the tank held like 300lbs of the pellets. But damn. I never seen CLEAR ice cubes before that. Nor have showers ever felt that good.
It was also a very good selling point for our house.

This is what I bought. Worth every penny...how ever much it was.
http://www.culligan.com/en/products/water-softeners/total-home/

D

·
0 Posts
I can run every spigot in the house and never run out of hot water.

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
I researched the electric models and had to pass because they require 60 amps of service and my 200 amp box has no room for anything.I'm all electric so I didn't have enough capacity to run it.

I just bought a 40 gallon E.O.Smith high efficiency water heater and installed it myself.It replaced two 30 gallon heaters that were at least 20 yrs old.The kids are out of the house now so it is plenty for my wife and I.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Speaking of water heaters, have any of you guys changed the sacrificial anodes in your heaters?

Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts