Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing of engine builders knocking some of the dome off to get better quenching and flame travel. How many of you do it and what are your thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
On a 24 degree piston the domes can get big, hurting the flame travel. Yes we cut domes down in favor for better flame travel. I don't like to see any more than a .100" of dome and less is better. I like a lot compression on nitrous engines but will give some compression up any day of the week for better cylinder head shape and piston flame travel. Good luck..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a convential headed AFR head motor. I'd like to get a little more feed back on knocking the dome down some and how it can help flame travel. Please chime in.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Its about as simple as, if the flame can't travel through it, its hurting flame travel. Not to sound like a smart ass, but that's the best way to look at the piston when deciding what to remove. Blend all of the cuts on the backside of the dome into one long radius, blend or completely remove that cut where the two valve reliefs meet. Blend the top into the sides, especially where the side of the exhaust cut meets the dome, and intake cut into the ring land. Be sure to give the spark plug some extra room. If you're not going to cc the final pistons, then weigh all off the pistons first and record the weight. Then weigh a finished piston that has been cleaned. A cc of aluminum weighs approximately 2.8 grams, and its more metal than you think. Subtract the new measurements from the first ones, and figure how much you cut off so that you're still able to figure your compression. Always use the first piston you do as a reference for finishing the rest. less variables that way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts