Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Might be the slowest car on the bullet, but it is what it is. I am just trying to get some feed back on these runs. This was my first trip to the drag strip ever for me. This car is also the first car I have ever tuned in anyway. Just wondering if these slips seem reasonable, and if there may be any easy-ish things I can do to try to improve.

Car- 82 Monte Carlo, full interior with enough custom leather and velour to make an 80s pimp blush. ALL heat and AC stuff removed, with a fiberglass hood. I never had it weighted but I would guess around 3400 with me in it.

Engine- Stock crank/rod, forge piston (10.7:1) sbc 400
Edlebrock Etec 200cc heads (flow around 250-255 @.500)
Cam is 244I/252E @ .050 .520I/540E lift solid flat tappet
Super Victor with 1" 4 hole spacer
Holley XP750 carb

Drive train- Built TH350, Hughes 3000 stall(flashes to 4000 with this combo)
GN 8.5", 3.42s, Eaton posi
275/60-15 MT Street Rs

Suspension- Front is stock with destroyed lakewoods
Rear- DA upper and lower TRZ control arms, Viking double adjustable shocks set at 2R and 10C from loose, TRZ adjustable spring perches with 12x125lbs springs, TRZ weld in anti-roll bar, rear LCA dropped 2.5" using UMI relocation brackets.

Burnouts were a quick 3-4 seconds, as soon as they would start to smoke I would let off the brake. I was foot breaking from about 1000-1200RPM. As far as I could tell the car dead hooked everytime. For the second 2 runs I took off my air cleaner. It has a pretty substantial drop base and I was worried it was interfering with the carb vents. After loosing it, my AFRs stopped waffling back n forth down the track, but the car went rich to 12.0-12.2 AFRs. DA was around 2200ft

0618180009b by Kirt Squires, on Flickr

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Well its not the slowest, LOL. consistent, personally I would change the reared ratio to 4:10, 4:11 which ever one to takes. get the air right, you can chip away at the t some

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its not the slowest, LOL. consistent, personally I would change the reared ratio to 4:10, 4:11 which ever one to takes. get the air right, you can chip away at the t some
I am doing the rear this winter and was thinking about 4:11s. The one thing I was wondering is do you think the converter would tighten up even more with those gears?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Is this a race car or street car? If it's a race car, you need more gear and higher stall on the converter. Your 60 ft is a little slow. If this is a street car, leave it alone, you're making decent HP and the car looks pretty consistent. Just work on cutting lights!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a race car or street car? If it's a race car, you need more gear and higher stall on the converter. Your 60 ft is a little slow. If this is a street car, leave it alone, you're making decent HP and the car looks pretty consistent. Just work on cutting lights!
Street car. Before I went to the track I had to take my 2 kids car seats out of the back lol. I was not worried at all about the RT... It was my first time ever at the track so I just wanted to make sure I did everything right. I only drive the car in nice weather locally, so I would sacrifice drive ability for better track times.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Slicks, more gear and a looser convertor the car will pick up a bunch. Not bad for a street car though. Got to work on the reaction times if you are going to race it much.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slicks, more gear and a looser convertor the car will pick up a bunch. Not bad for a street car though. Got to work on the reaction times if you are going to race it much.
I agree on the gear and converter...I was thinking 4:11s and a converter that flashes to 4500. I did not care about the reaction times at all this time around.
Not quite sure why slicks would be any faster?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
4500 probably a lot of stall for the cam. I was thing closer to 3800. You turn it about 6300 I am guessing? With a 4.10 she will run right at 120MPH at 6300RPMs

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice car/slips. Betcha it weighs more than 3400.
If you’ve got the pimp interior...what else do you have in it?
Speakers, amps?
LOL. It is stock type interior, nothing added, just done in premium leather and velour. It has no heat or AC... nothing, no duct work, gutted. No Radio, no speakers, stock interior door panels but the speakers were deleted.

I think the previous owner said the car was 3400 with him in it. I am not sure how accurate it is, but when I search curb weight for a monte SS it comes up as ~3250.

The weight reduction this car has from stock

-Aluminum heads, radiator, intake
-fiberglass hood
-AC/Heat gone with ducting gone
-radio and all speakers gone

As far as driveline it still has a TH350 but it does have an 8.5" rear instead of the 7.5"... not sure how much more the 8.5" weighs.

The next time I go to the track I am hoping they have the scale open so I can see. I would be floored if it is more than 3500 with me in it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good idea PPE, a 26" tire would be the equivalent of putting a 3.89 rear in it. Good test.

I may buy a set of 275/50-15 Street Rs to try when my 28s are done. I dont have an extra set of wheels though otherwise I would grab a pair now. To be 100% honest, the 28s look a lot better, and since I am doing the rear this winter I would rather just gear it for the 28s.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
4500 probably a lot of stall for the cam. I was thing closer to 3800. You turn it about 6300 I am guessing? With a 4.10 she will run right at 120MPH at 6300RPMs
This was my first time, so I was far from perfect, but I tried to shift at 5800 for the 1-2 and 6000-6200 for the 2-3. The advertised stall from the converter company is 3000, but it definitely flashes higher than that. The drop on shift isnt terrible... its right around 1200 rpm.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This was my first time, so I was far from perfect, but I tried to shift at 5800 for the 1-2 and 6000-6200 for the 2-3. The advertised stall from the converter company is 3000, but it definitely flashes higher than that. The drop on shift isnt terrible... its right around 1200 rpm.
Where do you race at I see the ny plate. The reason being is I have a set of drag radials on rims that would fit they are 16×8 with 245/50/16 that go on my trans am.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I was there Saturday. I remember reading that lisc. plate. Nice car.
Very cool! I got the plate when my son was two. He is really into hot wheels and race cars... When he first saw the car that's what he called it and it stuck.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think that is fantastic for a first time out . Changing the gears will make a big difference could cause other problems, for instance you might find the engine wants more cam after you change the gears. Then it becomes more work chasing the combination but that can be fun too. Don't make the mistake of changing too much at once and getting lost . Done that myself and its no fun at all.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts