Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the tailshaft in the trans suppose to have some play in it. If you were to grab the part with the splines and try to move it left and right or up and down is it suppose to move.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
you just answered my question with a question
Actually, he didn't answer anything. He asked another question.

Yeah, it'll have a little slop, but not much. There's a bushing inside the tailshaft behind the seal. Wearing out that bushing is a sign of........

Yes, you guessed it! An imbalanced driveshaft! When the wear gets bad enough, it'll rip the tailshaft right off the transmission.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just got a brand new replacement DS from Inland empire. They made me a new one and filled it with foam.

I grabbed the spline part. NO slip yoke in it yet. It moved back and forth some. I didn't try to move it once the slip yoke was in. I'm assuming once it's in the slop goes away.

Inland Empire told me the slip yoke show excessive wear. They retouched it. I think they just polished it out some. You can still see a tiny groove in it. They also fixed the leak by putting red silicon around the back side.

The mysterious whistle noise has been reduced to about 25% you have to really listen hard to hear it. You can however still hear it but like I said it has been reduced to about 25% and under certain accelerations.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think he put in the right spot to get an answer he got more on his post then the one i put in the trans forum.:p

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
i just got a brand new replacement DS from Inland empire. They made me a new one and filled it with foam.

I grabbed the spline part. NO slip yoke in it yet. It moved back and forth some. I didn't try to move it once the slip yoke was in. I'm assuming once it's in the slop goes away.

Inland Empire told me the slip yoke show excessive wear. They retouched it. I think they just polished it out some. You can still see a tiny groove in it. They also fixed the leak by putting red silicon around the back side.

The mysterious whistle noise has been reduced to about 25% you have to really listen hard to hear it. You can however still hear it but like I said it has been reduced to about 25% and under certain accelerations.
So, they didn't fix the problem, they just hid it. Good for Inland.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think he put in the right spot to get an answer he got more on his post then the one i put in the trans forum.:p

You're catching on

that is why i put them in this section so someone actually sees it

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes it was hanging out of the box when I got it.

they put no packing paper. The box was 5-6 inches longer than the DS so it bounced back and forth eventually busting the top open

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know but it was already ordered before i started that thread.

Yes it was a mistake.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hopefully this thread and the other will help someone else out in the future.

DO NOT BUY FROM INLAND EMPIRE DRIVESHAFTS

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
The output shaft is typically supported with two bushings. One is at the hole in the case where the shaft goes through (supports the front of the shaft) and the other is in the extension housing. The driveshaft yoke slips over the shaft and then interacts with the bushing.

So yes, with the driveshaft out you will see what seems like excessive "play" in the output shaft. However, with the driveshaft in place it should only have minimal movement.

It is not uncommon at all to see the extension housing bushing worn / hammered / defective. It sees a significant load due to torsional fluctuations in the driveshaft, especially in high performance or high loading applications.

g

·
X275!
4,937 Posts
The output shaft is typically supported with two bushings. One is at the hole in the case where the shaft goes through (supports the front of the shaft) and the other is in the extension housing. The driveshaft yoke slips over the shaft and then interacts with the bushing.

So yes, with the driveshaft out you will see what seems like excessive "play" in the output shaft. However, with the driveshaft in place it should only have minimal movement.

It is not uncommon at all to see the extension housing bushing worn / hammered / defective. It sees a significant load due to torsional fluctuations in the driveshaft, especially in high performance or high loading applications.

g
Ditto.

·
Registered
16,594 Posts
I'm so scared.

Beekin' off the the guru of transmissions really won't help your cause. Hutch knows his shit and will bend over backwards to help someone out. His point is your posting in the wrong section! If you post in the CORRECT section, he WILL answer you question with a 100% correct response........................well maybe not now................

1 - 20 of 25 Posts