Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
What diameter is the

what diameter is the driveshaft? If your reaching critical mass on the drive shaft, the shaft will start bending {kind of like a jump rope) and can take a tail housing out, brake a driveshaft or worse.

I've had a slightly bent driveshaft take out a cast iron c-6 tail housing like it wasn't even there.

Mike.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what diameter is the driveshaft? If your reaching critical mass on the drive shaft, the shaft will start bending {kind of like a jump rope) and can take a tail housing out, brake a driveshaft or worse.

I've had a slightly bent driveshaft take out a cast iron c-6 tail housing like it wasn't even there.

Mike.
I beleive its a 3 or 3 1/2 but it is chrome-molly

·
Registered
387 Posts
It wouldn't hurt

to take the driveshaft out and have it looked at. It doesn't take much to make a big mess of things.

3.5 '' shaft you should be good.

3.0 shaft may be iffy.

I'm no driveshaft "expert" by any means.

Mike.

·
Super Moderator
19,738 Posts
Where in the run did this happen? Has this tailhousing or transmission been subjected to any other trauma prior to this?
What governor support is on the back of the trans and was the tailhousing fitted to the case without the O ring in place to make sure the governor support was not interfering with the radius inside the tailhousing?

Hutch

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the tranny complete so I don't know what they did. The tail housing is a roller bearing and I do not have a hardened yoke. And my yoke is all chewed up on one side. I guess that roller bearing housing need a hardened yoke. Leason learned.... Also the front u joint was kinda stiff to move around. So all that is going to be fixed and I will give it another shot this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
19,738 Posts
Get the right stuff , if you need the proper information and part numbers, just ask. Before you bolt on the new tailhousing, do what I said in my above post.

Hutch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts