Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a trailer out of state. I cant get tags untill I have a title and I wont have that untill I see it in person and finish the deal. How do I get it home without a tag? I know if it was a dealer they would give me a temp tag but I am buying this from a individual. Here in IL you can move it for 24 hours after purchace for "Regestration Purposes" but I dont know about other states I am going through to get home. If anybody has been through this situation before I would appreciate any help you can give me.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Mine had a 3 day paper trip tag that got me home with no trouble at all.
All I had to do was put the trip tag in the back window of the truck.
I even had a Utah St. Patrol car roll by me on the way home.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Not much help here, but recently flew to Kansas and drove toterhome and trailer all the way back to Ca. with no plates on truck or trailer and nothing but the bill of sale and signed title with me. Had two patrol cars just drive right by me in Az. and Nm. with no trouble, but kept wondering if the hammer was going to drop the whole trip. Maybe I was just lucky?
Couldn't get an answer to (your) same question ahead of the trip... and seller insisted that he must keep the plates even though all registration was current.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not much help here, but recently flew to Kansas and drove toterhome and trailer all the way back to Ca. with no plates on truck or trailer and nothing but the bill of sale and signed title with me. Had two patrol cars just drive right by me in Az. and Nm. with no trouble, but kept wondering if the hammer was going to drop the whole trip. Maybe I was just lucky?
Couldn't get an answer to (your) same question ahead of the trip... and seller insisted that he must keep the plates even though all registration was current.

If you have an out of state drivers license, the BMV of the state where the previous owner has it titled should give you a temporary tag...

·
T/S 368E
31,122 Posts

I called my insurance guy gave him the vin. and had him fax me a letter showing proof of coverage.
With that, the title and a bill of sale you are covered, for the cops and if you happen to have an accident.
It sure would suck to get it impounded or totaled because of lack of insurance.

·
The Bullet Killer
36,720 Posts
in jersey you need a proof of owner ship and proof of sale

if you have both you can use that for a long time

i.e. you have proof of sale with stamp and hand written recipt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts