Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Mossburg 500 20 GA with pistol grip and 18 1/2 inch barrel.
Thinking about getting a 12 GA of the same model, but wonder where to get all that cool tactical stuff for them. I see alot of stuff on some of the guns, but the shops around here dont seem to carry anything.
Anybody know where to go?

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
Best stock out there, IMO, is the Knoxx Spec Ops. I have the NRS on my 500, and that is the most solidly built stock I've ever felt. Since you live in So cal, Scott, you're stuck going through Knoxx, direct or via eBay, since Sportsman's Warehouse - who has the best prices - won't ship them to CA, since their lawyers are pussies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tac Star has a bunch of stuff too i think

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
im using there stuff on my 500 the only thing they dont make is an extended magazine
You can't really put a magazine extension on a Mossy 500. You'd have to replace the magazine tube with a longer one and relocate the lug on the barrel. It's a bummer they designed it that way, but I think Ithacas are like that too, so you can't really call it an oddball design.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Is the 500 Mossberg similar to the 12 Ga. riot gun package they sold about 20 years ago?

Has anyone got an old Mossberg 12 Gauge Riot Gun they want to sell?

They sold them about 20 years ago in a kit form at dealers like Service Merchandise, they came in a box with three barrels and two stocks and a sling!

I traded mine for an engine rebuild in my 7.0 Nova and I have regretted it since! Would like to find one in great shape! With The box and all the stuff that came with it!

·
Registered
325 Posts
You can't really put a magazine extension on a Mossy 500. You'd have to replace the magazine tube with a longer one and relocate the lug on the barrel. It's a bummer they designed it that way, but I think Ithacas are like that too, so you can't really call it an oddball design.
I just ordered this "+2" mag extension for my Mossberg 590A1. Now it will hold 7+1 instead of 5+1. I have the 18.5" barrel w/ GRS.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/MAX100/590A1-3-1.jpg

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Yeah, the 590 will take a magazine extension, but the 500 won't. Rather than a big nut holding the barrel to the magazine, the 500 uses a captured bolt that threads into the end of the magazine. It's not the best setup, but oh well.

·
photobomber
2,512 Posts
I've got a 500, and I figure that if I run into a problem I can't solve with 6+1, plus the reload in the sidesaddle, I'm in over my head anyway... :p

Besides, pistols and (to a lesser extent) shotguns are only good for fighting your way back to wherever you foolishly left your rifle.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah, the 590 will take a magazine extension, but the 500 won't. Rather than a big nut holding the barrel to the magazine, the 500 uses a captured bolt that threads into the end of the magazine. It's not the best setup, but oh well.
Ah good to know. I thought the only differences where the use of plastics on certain parts of the 500. Thanks:cool:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did pick up a few boxes of the remington sabot slugs, and also a few other slugs.
Man, those babies cost about 3 bucks a shot (reminds me of the marlboro man movie and his huge handgun) but I hear they really make an impression.
Guy at the shop told me you can shoot right thru a car with them.

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
I did pick up a few boxes of the remington sabot slugs, and also a few other slugs.
Man, those babies cost about 3 bucks a shot (reminds me of the marlboro man movie and his huge handgun) but I hear they really make an impression.
Guy at the shop told me you can shoot right thru a car with them.
You're talking about these? :http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/slugs/core-Lokt_ultra_bonded_sabot.asp

Sabot slugs are designed for rifled barrels, not smoothbores. For the smoothbores, you need rifled slugs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well crap, mine is a 20" isn't it. I don't really mess with the shotgun much anymore. I have owned that since 2001 and I put on the side saddle about two days after I bought it. I would be lying if I said I remember exactly what the installation entailed. I just remember it took about 5 minutes and it was very simple.

joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts