Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ditched my Chrysler style ignition and installed a Summit box ( msd 6AL copy ) and Msd dist. Tach is wired to the Gray wire of the ign box per the instructions. Tach is an Auto Meter 5" . It worked perfect with the old ignition setup .

Now , it reads at least around 600-700 Rpm to low . I didnt cut the little 4/6/8 cyl loops on the box so thats not it . Theres no factory stuff now in the ignition system ----- new box / dist / all wired to switches .

Any ideas?

Can i wire the tach to the coil with this style ign box ? I havent tried that yet

·
Registered
692 Posts
No, you cannot connect the tach to the coil with CD ign like 6AL & mutant copies. You probably need a tach adaper, MSD 8910 or 8920 from memory.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, you cannot connect the tach to the coil with CD ign like 6AL & mutant copies. You probably need a tach adaper, MSD 8910 or 8920 from memory.
so....every car with a Msd 6al and an Auto Meter tach uses a tach adapter ?? I thought they were needed for factory tachs

·
Registered
692 Posts
I didn't say say you do need a tach adapter, I said you probably need an adapter, given your symptoms. Check with Auto Meter to see if their tach works directly off MSD 6AL.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Summit brand may be different, but my 6al instructions say tach adapter is not needed.

It does call for adapter on Chrysler tach, but you said you're not using that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts